Off Topic Puncture repairable

Currently reading:
Off Topic Puncture repairable

title says all
A practically new winter tyre, suffered a stone puncturing through the tread causing a full deflation in about 5mins :(
Angle it intercepted plus the angle of going over a speed bump at 30mph = plenty of force to enter :(

Too close to the shoulder or not?
stone in tyre.jpg

Ziggy

title says all
A practically new winter tyre, suffered a stone puncturing through the tread causing a full deflation in about 5mins :(
Angle it intercepted plus the angle of going over a speed bump at 30mph = plenty of force to enter :(

Too close to the shoulder or not?
View attachment 150270

Ziggy

this hole can easily be repaired, only one that is risky is if its on the side of the tire

It might be the shape of the puncture rather than its location that makes that unrepairable. I lost a tyre having run over my own catalytic converter shield plate that had dropped off, leading to a puncture similar to that.

Well im sitting on my summer tyres again for now

Found out my pads were at less then 2mm, luckily i had a brand new set waiting as i knew i must have been getting close :)

But now will 4 inflated tyre i ran off to the local tyre shop that i trust, i asked him if it was repairable and he said no
Not because it was too close to the shoulder, but because of the shape, its way over 6mm in one direction

Ziggy

Bummer. It's only a tyre, could have been something a lot worse. Co-incidentally picked up a 2" wood screw on the bike last Saturday. First bike puncture in 30 odd years. Nice clean round hole just off the centre and back in business now.

I dunnonif its too close to be a safe repair

Ziggy

I think essentially the thing to learn from this is you should know better than to listen/reply to Flisko.

Their are some dodgy garages who would hapily fix this or punctures right in the shoulder tread area, obviously though it's all a matter of safety and if it's greater than 6mm in one direction it's more like a cut

I think essentially the thing to learn from this is you should know better than to listen/reply to Flisko.

Their are some dodgy garages who would hapily fix this or punctures right in the shoulder tread area, obviously though it's all a matter of safety and if it's greater than 6mm in one direction it's more like a cut

i suspect its going to have ripped the tyre a little there

Its a shame - as Uniroyal are stopping the ms plus 6 tyres, as there going to the ms plus 7's now

The front 2 are not really going to last much longer, so hence why im now on summers with like 6mm front treads :) like new again tbh

So a whole new set - and next winter ill be safe still :)

Somebody will want a cheap tyre - or have a near matching one that wanna pair up

Ziggy

I am learning something here about car tyres! I would have thought that was an easy repair with an inner tube and sufficient new material between the tube and the hole. Car tyres are very low pressure compared to a bike and they are steel reinforced!

Yup there are steel cords running with other materials like nylon and rubber etc

As for pressures - depending on what your doing = what pressure you have

Some bigger cars have higher pressures, and with say a trailer on, some want quiet high to cope with the load

You cant stick an inner tube into a tubeless tyre either, so i thats not an option

Ziggy

if a rim was that rusty it leaked - i wouldnt want to be using it, a nasty pothole could cause it to shatter....

I cant remember why you cant use an Tubbed tyre in a tubeless though

Ziggy

It seems ok to use them but is not recommended because the longer deflation of a punctured tubeless sealed to the rim is replaced by a potentially dangerous more rapid deflation.

As mentioned you shouldn't use a tube in a tubeless tyre as the friction between the tube and the tyre can cause a lot of heat leading to premature failure of one or both, and can be catastrophic.

Imagine the inner tube blowing at 70mph and suddenly throwing the balance of the wheel on one corner out massively even worse if it's a steering wheel

Back