PS2 Internet games

Currently reading:
PS2 Internet games

hmallett

Mr Pedantic
You always hear about X-Box owners playing on X-Box Live. it seems very popular.
Does anyone use the PS2 Network Gaming feature? A mate of mine said that it was dead, as it never took off, but the slimline PS2s have the network adaptor built in, and they still make internet play games such as WRC Unleashed.
So does anyone here use their PS2 online? Is it any good?
H

I think it was always a dead duck. Not only did you have to buy an adapter for the original PS2 but the sign up procedure was DIRE!

Insert CD - wait yonks for it to connect to central-station, then fill out loads of forms through a clunky interface then receive pin number confirmation two weeks later or your account would cease to work.
No native headset type device.

Xbox live - buy Live starter kit, includes headset and scratchcard. Insert network cable, tap in the scratchcard number then register a credit card for future potential content downloads. One year's gaming for about £30.
Neat.

I never realised the PS2 setup was so complicated.

My PS2 now just collects dust under the TV - I may try and sell it on eBay as a PS3 though :chin:

moogs said:
I think it was always a dead duck. Not only did you have to buy an adapter for the original PS2 but the sign up procedure was DIRE!

Insert CD - wait yonks for it to connect to central-station, then fill out loads of forms through a clunky interface then receive pin number confirmation two weeks later or your account would cease to work.
No native headset type device.

Xbox live - buy Live starter kit, includes headset and scratchcard. Insert network cable, tap in the scratchcard number then register a credit card for future potential content downloads. One year's gaming for about £30.
Neat.
having just signed up for live i can agree :D:slayer:

i've got my ps2 online. it doesn't take that long to set it up. Its good but ive only got one game and theres only a few games in the lobby because not many people have got it. A good thing is that you dont have to pay for it like xbox live

A problem with it is you got to have a router which most people dont have

Well I registered my PS2 last night, so should get a network setup CD soon. I'm surprised that this functionality isn't built in to the console though.
Internet play isn't something that I'll do a lot of, so the lack of fees is a bonus for me. I have a router anyway (everyone should!), so I just need some network game now!
H

Back