General Proxy alignment

Currently reading:
General Proxy alignment

Alwight dewds (Holly from Red Dwarf style ;) )

Right, I have a set of sporting speedo clocks in my mk2... So I went to fiat the other day (finally) to get the milage lined up correctly. I explained to the fellow behind the counter what I wanted doing, who gave me a blank look... When some other character leaned out of the doorway and told me they couldnt do it on second hand units...

Someone on here told me they can do it, as long as the milage on the clocks is less than whats on the body computer. Which he said was untrue...

He also said it may be possible if I knew the milage before I changed the clocks over.. But wouldnt the cars actual milage be stored on the body computer? Which is why it'll flash when its changed because the two arent congruent with eachother?

Anyone shine a light on the situation?

Cheers,

Chris

I asked at a garage locally and first of all they said it couldn't be done. Then they said it could be done, but if the computer didn't recognise the second hand unit, then it would mess up the old unit as well, so i would end up buying brand new unit and still having to pay for realignment. I said bye bye.
I then rang another dealership who said it could be done, but couldn't guarantee a second hand unit, which I thought was fair enough.
In the evnt, I fitted the second hand unit and it worked and the mileage doesn't flash at all! Hope this helps.

i had this problem with my local dealership.... prats imo lol.

and they also said, that if it didn't work i'll still need to pay for the charge, (£43).

then they started talking about me having to buy a whole new unit which costs £200 or so and so i just put the phone down...
This is the same story I got at Stoneacre Hyde (ooops, it just slipped out).
Surely a £43 charge for doing very little, and no guarantee that it will work can't be that bad business for them can it?

OH MY GOD!

Can you believe my luck I went back today and got the same dunce as last time. As soon as he walked out I started edging towards the door. I wasnt in the mood to deal with him so I left. But not before he told me it was illegal to play with the cars milage (testament to how little he understood my request :bang:)

So! I wrote them an email. I figured it might be easier for them to understand if they can digest it at their own pace. Here's what I sent:

Hi,

I just visited your parts department with a request I feel was neither well recieved or understood. Let me explain my situation. one of the bulbs went on my old speedo unit on my mk2 Punto (2002), so after some research on fiatforum.com I found out that it is possible to use the unit from the sporting models of the same mark, which include a temperature guage and rev counter. I managed to get hold of a second hand unit, on which, the milage displayed was roughly 10k miles less than what my car has been through. Now, I'm not sure how aware you are of this, but when a unit with the incorrect milage stored on it from that of the body computer is installed, the display will flash (Which I assume is to let you know the milage is not congruent to that on the ecu).

Now, I went to your parts department and asked them if this could be rectified, however, they told me this is impossible, and can only be performed on brand new units. However I know of people on the website I mentioned earlier that have had this done on second hand units. Not in the mood to argue, I left. I returned today, and spoke to the same receptionist as last time who told me it was illegal to 'play with the milage' and directed me to a backstreet garage to do this. Again, not in the mood to argue, I left, as he's clearly misunderstood my request. Allow me to make it very clear what I'm asking:

The milage displayed on the speedo unit, is incorrect to what is stored on my cars ecu (ie. the cars correct milage), and I'd like this rectified.

I'm not asking for the cars milage to be reduced, or increased. Purely, the milage on the second hand unit which is that of the car it came from, and not my car. Surely this is not illegal. If anything, it would be illegal for the car to display anything other than the cars actual milage.

I hope I've made it very clear, and I hope this issue can be resolved.

Thank you for your time,

Chris

Now, Can anyone tell me any GENUINE fiat garages/dealerships that they have had this done at? Im guessing if I can point them in the direction of somewhere that's successfully done it, it might help persuade them what I'm asking is legitimate and possible!!

Thanks!

no you want service department, get service manager to go get you a det. clocks can only be put forward not back, examiner will only go forward upto 300,000k to prevent going all the way around.

if you say alignment to the girl on the welcome desk, she will think you want your tracking done

Last edited:
no you want service department, get service manager to go get you a det. clocks can only be put forward not back, examiner will only go forward upto 300,000k to prevent going all the way around.

if you say alignment to the girl on the welcome desk, she will think you want your tracking done

Funnily enough, thats exactly what happened today! Ill try that on Monday.. And report back (hopefully with good news!)
Cheers Dave :slayer:

Back