Grande Punto Prolonged Cold Start Issue

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Prolonged Cold Start Issue

Conuk98

Hi,

I’ve had my Grande Punto 1.4 Active Sport for just over a year now, has had persistent cold start problem on a off for about 9 months now.
Starts fine for a week or 2 then will die a few times before running fine once warmed up, currently cutting out up to 8 times and struggling to start.

I have searched the forum for a solution with many saying map sensor change fixes this problem, I have changed the map sensor twice and coolant sensor (both Bosch sensors), new spark plugs, a new battery, new throttle body, have used carb cleaner and still no good. Engine management light comes on and off when this occurs.

I was wondering if anyone has a idea what this could possibly be?

It has now also started losing coolant probably 2 litres or more over space of 2 weeks with no visible leak under car while running or when rested either?

Many thanks

Hi,

I’ve had my Grande Punto 1.4 Active Sport for just over a year now, has had persistent cold start problem on a off for about 9 months now.

I was wondering if anyone has a idea what this could possibly be?

It has now also started losing coolant probably 2 litres or more over space of 2 weeks with no visible leak under car while running or when rested either?

Many thanks

Hi

The coolant loss takes centrestage ..

IF ITS filling yhe cylinders..small wonder it struggles to fire..

TIP:
Cheap and easy test.. remove all 4 spark plugs..line them up in order.. take some pics

Look for differences in COLOUR

RUST.. or a 'steam cleaned' appearance isnt good :eek:

Let us know what you find

Here's an example of how replacing parts by belief results in a bad outcome. It's expensive.

Probably has been serviced poorly and ECU is now faulty too due to running with poor spark plugs for too long time. Did you check the fault code? Do it.

What about phonic wheel relearn if these problems occurred after unprofessional cambelt change?

Edit: Please check the hoses for coolant leaks. Replace reservoir cap. Check vacuum hoses for leaks too, all of them.

Last edited:
Coolant loss could be the head gasket has let go or you’ve got a leak somewhere and you need to pressure test the cooling system to see if it holds pressure.

You need to get it scanned for fault codes as I assume you haven’t done this already and have fitted parts left and right hoping it will fix the issue, I’m not blaming you for that but scanning for codes is one of the first things I’d do before swapping any parts. Asking opinions about what could be wrong can lead you on a wild goose chase.

The Crankshaft sensor might be dodgy I Had this on a Clio but it would start up fine and drive for about 30 mins then die and wouldn’t restart for about 20 mins until it had cooled down. Then one day it just wouldn’t fire up because the crankshaft sensor let go! Cost me about £20 and 10 mins to fit it. Don’t take what I think might be wrong as a green light to rush too buy another sensor, first scan it for codes and go from there. The sensor is located next to the crankshaft pulley and is easy to get too.

One more thing it could be low cylinder compression from the aforementioned head gasket that may or may not have let go. Obviously for your sake I hope it’s not that!

Back