General Progressive Springs

Currently reading:
General Progressive Springs

These beauties arrived in the post today. My flatmate is a bit non-plussed by my enthusiasm but I cant wait to wang them on.
One thing though, I want to be certain i'm putting the rear springs the right way up. I looked at pictures of Leweys and his have the more closely wound coils at the bottom. There arn't any instructions with them so i thought id ask.

Attachments

• hereford Y10 016.jpg
    hereford Y10 016.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 27
  • hereford Y10 017.jpg
    hereford Y10 017.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
No shouldnt matter really. But i will say i find mine far too soft and not low enou for me either

Car in pieces and its not going well :mad: With the new front SPAX springs in place on the strut they are damn close to being loose on the strut. Once the top nut is tightened down against its stop where there is no more thread its barely holding the spring in place. Put it another way you wouldn't need spring compressors to get these springs off.

Is this acceptable or even legal. I thought springs had to be under some compression to work properly.

The shocks are just standard delphi shocks

Last edited:
Will they not compress when there is weight on them or is the shock too long and bottoming out?

The shocks travel appears to be fine and isn't bottoming out. Its just I wasn't sure if a spring thats only securely held in place by the weight of the car is acceptable.

Mine are still under a little compression when there's no weight on the suspension, which is fine. The spring will fail an mot if they are rattling around under full stretch, but I have seen small thin helper springs for sale which take up the slack.

Probably worth throwing on a spacer like they use for lifting 4wds.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spring+spacer&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qITuUMP-NvLK0AWMygE&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1252&bih=895

If you don't need much I have heard of folk cutting their own from the hard rubbery plastic chopping boards and layering up as needed.

Il bare that in mind come MOT time. My springs don't rattle around but they can be quite easily turned when the cars weight is off them.

I have to say i'm really pleased with the results. I didn't have high expectations but the ride seems no worse even improved under certain circumstances and the roll seems very well contained. Its been turned into the roundabout monster it should always have been, 2 new goodyears at the front have helped too.

Attachments

• hereford Y10 018.jpg
    hereford Y10 018.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 15
  • hereford Y10 019.jpg
    hereford Y10 019.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 41
  • hereford Y10 020.jpg
    hereford Y10 020.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 13
  • hereford Y10 024.jpg
    hereford Y10 024.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The biggest difference I found was fitting gas dampers as well as the lowered and stiffer springs. Just having the the standard shocks and Jamex springs lowered the car but kept the ride very similar to standard.

When I get a chance I want to get some poly bushes on the ARB and control arms. Or i might rose joint everything :devil:

My to do list is getting a bit lengthy now :D

Cheers

Dave

The biggest difference I found was fitting gas dampers as well as the lowered and stiffer springs. Just having the the standard shocks and Jamex springs lowered the car but kept the ride very similar to standard.

When I get a chance I want to get some poly bushes on the ARB and control arms. Or i might rose joint everything :devil:

My to do list is getting a bit lengthy now :D

Cheers

Dave

Can you get poly ARB bushes off the shelf for the Y10?

Back