General Problems

Currently reading:
General Problems

sammy657

Well about a month ago when i got new brake pads i was told i needed new brake discs within the next 6 to 7000 miles. Now ive started getting a squeal and squeek between about 60 to 80kph. I was wondering if this is the brake discs squeeking as a sign they need replacing or if its something else. Also the brake pedal takes abit more push for the brakes work any ideas? many thanks

Well it never used to do it only recently started and the brake pedal has to be pushed in more. Hmmmmm im going to put it in after christmas and new year for new brake discs anyway just the squeal is annoying and it is very intermittant only happened a few times its like a squeal/grinding sound of metal not the same sound as when the pads wore down tho

I have had this problem on my Sei and a good jetwash around the front brakes can often cure it.
If you had brake pads fitted which are very hard (such as Mintex) they are more prone to giving off the very fine dust which can build up and cause the squeal.
You can permanently get around the problem by fitting Unipart front pads which are softer and don't create this problem.

The extra pressure required for braking could also be caused by harder pads.

Well the pads did cost me about 30 euro. Plus when i first started using them it was just a tap and the brakes worked well. Now i have to put my foot quite abit further down. It dont feel soft well it does untill i push down harder then the brakes work. Never used to be like that untill last week really and i do alot of driving so i have noticed it over the last week. Just when the squeal comes its quite annoying and it has now started when i turn left i can hear the squeal started happening today and the most worn disc was on that left side. I have noticed that the hubcaps have alot of dirt on and around them so maybe this is the case as i did jetwash the car 2 weeks ago but the roads here in ireland are as grubby as anything

Well i trust you guys ill pop it round the garage as soon as i can. Is it a serious problem? or normal?

Mate it is all normal for the pads to give a spongy feel, i think is more the case the brakes is giving you more of a feel to it (i.e. better control). This just means the pads has bedded in!! IT is normal, and i would guess this only happened say 100 miles + on them?

All normal operations! get some copper grease there!

Ming

Na the pads have been on there for about 7k so im due the disc change. It just started happening all of a sudden its weird sorry they was put on 3 months ago my bad time flys

Last edited:
Does the vehicle have any vibration while braking? if so this is due to excessive rotor runout, rotor runout is caused by warpage of the disc, or by variations in thickness of the disc.

Nope no vibration at all brakes well if you put ya foot down quite abit like it used to but the pedal was higher. Just worried its something really expensive cos over christmas i aint got alot of money at all and i rely on my car

Sounds more like the brakes need bleeding

Maybe mate :D Front brake pads provide up to 70% of stopping power so front brake pads wear out twice as fast as rear brake pads, brake discs and pads become increasingly thinner over time the caliper piston moves further out of the caliper body force contact between brake pad and disc, so check the brake discs thickness to mate (y) As the brake fluid level dropped?

i know i could tell you the science behind it if you want as i study it at degree level lol most common fault people dont notice is bleeding or the rust if they not been used much recently

short had you have to work out the centre of gravity whiles driving, then work out how much forcr is needed to stop then calculate the change in centre of gravity to work out how strong each brake needs to be which is normally around 70:30 front:back, then for fun you can work out the cooling abilities of the brakes, i dont have all night lol

Back