General Problems with my mk1 punto 55s

Currently reading:
General Problems with my mk1 punto 55s

chris91smith

Okay new to this forum so thought id ask people who know what might be wrong with my punto.

1. Engine idles really loud, sometimes rumbles quite harshly only seemed to have happened after i cleaned up my spark plugs and changed one of the leads as it had split, also started after i put redex (petrol injector) into the system yesterday.

2. Judders from set off and loses power in gears as if it needs changing down a gear (stopped from cleaning spark plugs) but was this the reason why? also a sensor pipe had split which ive remade off. all is well just curious

3. clucth is sticky but still works fine

4. accelerator feels hard sometimes

5. just had a slave cylinder changed for a new one, where ya put the brake fluid in went down but not dry, brakes are now sometimes responsive but then a bit delayed then back to responsive

Its a 1.1 55s N reg punto. Probably could do with a new car but i cant afford one, mates will fix it for me though i'd just like to know the problems and the reason why.

1. Did you change just one of the HT leads, not all four? If so, the spark on that one HT lead will differ to the other three, causing an imbalance every two rotations of the flywheel. That alone could cuase a rumble when idling. Did you use a feeler blade to check the spark gap before re-inserting to check that cleaning hadn't altered it?

2. Juddering could be the HT imbalance or spark gap, as before.

3. How far do you have to raise the clutch before it bites? If it is near the top of the travel, the stickiness could be erosion of the release bearing by a worn clutch.

4. That is a funny one, check the pedal security.

5. Sounds like there may be air or water trapped in the hydraulic lines. Commence a bleeding procedure if you suspect air, completely replace fluid if you suspect water.

I have the exact same Punto, but a year younger and with 126,000 miles on the clock. Once you sort the niggles, it is an incredibly inexpensive car to run. AA/RAC will tell you a car costs 45p a mile all in, mine costs about 16p.

my dad works for AA and says that oh itll be fine drive it till it dies. but to be honest i dont want to.

1. I only changed one. second one from right, i was going to by a new set of spark plugs and new leads but he told me just to get the one, it only rumbles and judders. i dint use nothing took em out cleaned em, put em back in put lead onto em.

3. I'm not sure its about a 2/3s to biting and it clicks when i push it fully down and is sticky just before biting

4. only seems to happen when its either raining, its been raining or when its really hot.

5. they seem to be fine now i used some random fluid for it when i filled it back up but like i said it was close to dry but not completelty so i dont suspect air

If the brakes seem dodgy and the cluth is weird, both the problems could be to do with the slave cylinder as both the brakes and clutch use the same fluid resevoir.

I had mine changed in my mk2 and there is a gauze in the fluid level resevoir, the garage didn't take this out aand it left air in the system even once it had been bled.

Back