Technical Problem! :(

Currently reading:
Technical Problem! :(

Susie94

Hoping someone can help.
I was out in my car tonight dropping partner to tram station about 30 minutes away.
When I dropped him off I noticed my stop start was no longer working.
Once I was home and turned the engine off I realised the cooling fan was blowing at the front grill.
No idea if these two events are connected.
Has this happened to anyone else?
☹️

Welcome how old is your car, were the fans running after switch off? Was the a.c. on?
December 2015 so coming up on 6 years. The fan was running loudly when I got home and switched the engine off. I have never noticed it before. Nor have I ever experienced the stop start not working. Very worried.

Hi Susie and welcome to the forum. Is your engine the 4 cylinder 1.2 or the 2 cylinder twin air?

As John above has already mentioned it's not unknown for the stop/start to stop working. The battery needs to be holding a very high state of charge for the electronics to allow stop/start to function so if the battery is getting a bit old (and therefore deteriorating internally) or if you are doing short journeys (which won't fully charge the battery between start ups) the electronics attempt to preserve electricity by stopping the stop/start and just letting the engine tickover instead.

Cooling fan? if the aircon is activated the cooling fan will run almost continually. It will also run if the coolant gets appreciably hotter than normal. The 4 cylinder engines, whilst a good and robust engine if looked after, do not like running low on coolant and might suffer head gasket problems if run with a low coolant level. I have no experience with the twin air so can't comment on it. John asks you whether the heater is working normally because if your coolant level drops appreciably it's not unusual for the heater to not work very well due to being starved of hot water from the engine. It's a good idea to get into the habit of regularly checking under the bonnet - Oil and Coolant levels at a minimum. I check ours weekly but I'm a bit obsessive! Hope that all helps.

Hi Susie and welcome to the forum. Is your engine the 4 cylinder 1.2 or the 2 cylinder twin air?

As John above has already mentioned it's not unknown for the stop/start to stop working. The battery needs to be holding a very high state of charge for the electronics to allow stop/start to function so if the battery is getting a bit old (and therefore deteriorating internally) or if you are doing short journeys (which won't fully charge the battery between start ups) the electronics attempt to preserve electricity by stopping the stop/start and just letting the engine tickover instead.

Cooling fan? if the aircon is activated the cooling fan will run almost continually. It will also run if the coolant gets appreciably hotter than normal. The 4 cylinder engines, whilst a good and robust engine if looked after, do not like running low on coolant and might suffer head gasket problems if run with a low coolant level. I have no experience with the twin air so can't comment on it. John asks you whether the heater is working normally because if your coolant level drops appreciably it's not unusual for the heater to not work very well due to being starved of hot water from the engine. It's a good idea to get into the habit of regularly checking under the bonnet - Oil and Coolant levels at a minimum. I check ours weekly but I'm a bit obsessive! Hope that all helps.
I check under my bonnet every other day 😂 how’s that for obsessing 😝

I check under my bonnet every other day 😂 how’s that for obsessing 😝
Obsessing yes, but you're very likely to catch problems early that way Chris. Good idea if you can be bothered, just keep the bonnet catch and cables well lubricated as I doubt if the guy that designed them factored in such frequent use? Hope you and your's are keeping well? Mrs J and I have shocking colds just now but are testing negative for the "Lurgy" thank goodness.

All ok jock .. my mum caught the lurgy and was very poorly luckily double jabbed so recovery was swift
I’m actually surprised I didn’t catch it as I was looking after her! I didn’t get my partners flu either … must have a good immune system eh!
Keep well! P.S we have snow here THICK horrible snow ❄️ 🙈😂

All ok jock .. my mum caught the lurgy and was very poorly luckily double jabbed so recovery was swift
I’m actually surprised I didn’t catch it as I was looking after her! I didn’t get my partners flu either … must have a good immune system eh!
All white with us this morning too. Probably less than an inch with us here down near the docks but all white, very "seasonal"! Just about gone now (17.10hrs)

All those days lying on the freezing cold ground peering up at the engine/gearbox/etc. have made you invincible.. :D

Ralf S.

Back