Technical Problem with Punto

Currently reading:
Technical Problem with Punto

new guy

hi all

when ever i first start my car up, it doesnt seem to be gettin full power, for example ill drive along 10-20 metres and the car starts jumping like about to cut out, after tht it will pick up after i give it high revs, i doubt this is good for my car!!! i was just wondering do you think it could be a dirty air filter causing the problem, ive just had spark plugs changed as well so doubt its that!!

ne help would be appreciated

danny

5abR...We now tell all customers that every "coil pack" car that we now have in for servicing that needs plugs MUST also have a set of leads. We had so many problems that we have had to do this. On 1.4 Zetecs we have to replace around 50% of the coil packs as well. Any decent garage should be able to check the leads and the coil pack in about 10 minutes. Don't be suprised if you need a coil pack as well!
Alan - Liskeard Classic Cars

Just had a thought....If it is anything to do with coil, leads or plugs it would be most obvious at tickover but it would improve as the engine warmed up. I know far more about Alfas than Fiats but a lot of thye injection systems are common to both. We have found that the integrity of the vacuum/air pipes is crucial on single and multi point systems and that the Air Flow Meters need to be spotlessly clean or they display all sorts of strange symptoms. On the earlier systems (I have no idea of the age of your Punto or the engine size BTW) There was a cold start valve/sensor that often played up and the easiest way to test them is to simply start the car from cold, and the revs should drop from 1000/1100 to 750/850 within 30 seconds. HTH

5abR...We now tell all customers that every "coil pack" car that we now have in for servicing that needs plugs MUST also have a set of leads. We had so many problems that we have had to do this. On 1.4 Zetecs we have to replace around 50% of the coil packs as well. Any decent garage should be able to check the leads and the coil pack in about 10 minutes. Don't be suprised if you need a coil pack as well!

I aren't quite sure that was aimed at me :)

From what I've read the coil packs usually cause a missfire rather than jumpyness but I suppose that could be a mild missfire.

It may also be worth checking the engine timing too.

Sorry...That should have been for new guy. Yes, coil pack faults normally show up as straightforward misfires which is why I added the second post.

Back