Technical Power Steering Problems

Currently reading:
Technical Power Steering Problems

conors891

2000 Punto mk2 1.2 8V. In the last few week my power steering has failed while driving, steering goes stiff and the light comes on. Its usually while pulling into a parking space or something like that rather than on the open road. Every time, I've turned off and on the engine it comes back and will be fine for another few days until it happens again. I have multi ecu scan on my laptop and have the correct cables(VAGKKL & 3 colored ones) but have been unable to connect to the power steering module to read any error codes. Perhaps I need a different cable for connecting the power steering module? Some of you will probable have a good idea of what the issue is without reading any codes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Conor

You need an ELM327 cable to connect to the steering module.

Attachments

• 555555555.jpg
    555555555.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 35
There may be a problem with the ELM327.
Our interface read the ecu but would not read the EPS or SRS.
Removing a resistor in the unit solved it.
http://forum.multiecuscan.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1493

Your symptoms could be a charging system related. The power steering draws a lot of current and if the battery is getting old or the alternator is weak it will nor be able to maintain the EPS voltage when applying big loads such as parking at low engine revolutions.

Thanks for the replies. Battery was only just replaced. Alternator was checked before replacing the battery. I will test it again. Will error code show if fault was caused by a low voltage? Conor

Bad earth straps will do that. Check and clean the big one from the gearbox and you could have a look at the big power plug to the p/s motor up under the steering wheel.
What rating is the new battery?
IIRC the hydraulic steering cars came with batteries in the high twenties, the electric steering cars on into the thirties. Some here have fitted even bigger, partly to stop the voltage drops.
The code could be voltage related but it's not always open and shut and can take a bit of figuring out to find what is really going on.
I've replaced the relays on our motor which is a recurring problem on pre facelift cars about 03

Last edited:
Its a 40 Ah battery. I've tested the wiring from battery to alternator recently and there was no issues. I'd did have a charging problem a few years ago and had to clean up the gearbox ground connection.

Thought I'd share this, we have lived with the steering light coming off and on intermittently for some time. Then recently we heard a "graunching" noise accompanying it. After an inspection we found the driver's side wheel suspension spring had snapped right at the top, this rides on a roller bearing race, which had released some of it's ball bearings, as it wasn't under compression any more, the broken spring riding on the wheel arch. This resulted I believe in the steering being too hard for the PAS to operate at times due to the increase in torque required to move it, as the spring rotates with the steering. A new spring cost less than £20 and the spring compressor about the same. We replaced the spring and the light has not come on since and the steering feels smoother. I personally blame the state of the roads :bang:, and for the cost, I'm keeping a spare spring handy. Please note though, the spring had snapped right at the top, and judging by the rust been like it for some time. A quick glance and you wouldn't have noticed, it was at the very top so look carefully.

Back