Technical power steering noise when driving

Currently reading:
Technical power steering noise when driving

It is best noticeable in second gear going on or coming off the throttle.
Sound like gearbox from this

almost gaurentee its not steering

being LHD ? its right in font of the steering column

with the engine off a Good First check is to put your finger inside the bellhousing inspection hole and see if its covered in oil

gearbox oil level is fine and the oil itself is relatively clear (no gray shiney stuff) on it. and I do not hear the gearbox whining when I'm outside the car. If it was the box then it would be noisy outside as it transfers the sound through components into the car.

I agree with you that it should be something mechanical but it does not sound that way. For now I do not want to do too much on the car as it gets its official MOT tomorrow.

I checked in the gearbox housing by removing the plug and it is not clean but only dry material. there is no seal leaking there. The box itself is completely dry at the bottom as well.

I noticed that when we had the car in the air while driving that when we shifted gears the engine would rock a lot. later i grabbed a prybar and checked all the bushings. In the air it seemed all pretty loose. but when it is on it's wheels the play is almost all gone. only the dogbone seems to have some play side to side on the chassis part. To check the mount on the gearbox I need to remove the battery and it's tray so that is something i will check after the MOT.

I sprayed the strut topmounts and, the steering knuckle joint with some silicone spray to make sure that the noise is not coming from parts that are binding up.

After MOT the search continues.

Metal to metal contact with the dogbone/gearbox/body could transmit a fair bit of gear noise, without being too loud outside the car? The dogbone is the only real thing stopping the engine/gearbox assy twisting back and forth with torque (the top two mounts support the weight, but provide pretty much zero torsional support).

Strange no Panda, Punto or 500 i have seen here in the UK has a plug
maybe its a LHD thing

Lost in translation I think. I meant the part that you pointed out in the picture.

Metal to metal contact with the dogbone/gearbox/body could transmit a fair bit of gear noise, without being too loud outside the car? The dogbone is the only real thing stopping the engine/gearbox assy twisting back and forth with torque (the top two mounts support the weight, but provide pretty much zero torsional support).

I got that idea as well. The dogbone itself is not to expensive so I will order that and replace it.

if it was the dog bone, would it not be worse engine braking in First and reverse.

Being mainly in 2nd, not the highest or lowest gear must rule out most things !

Good point. And perhaps less likely to make noise on the lift (compared with on the floor driving). But perhaps a resonance thing? I'd be tempted to try it anyway, especially if the currently fitted one is worn.

It could be wear in the gearbox just in second gear? But unlikely I think, especially if the oil was in good condition.

Just reading back through the thread, and you mentioned that the noise sounded electrical. A really unlikely possibility (especially given that it's loudest in second etc etc) but it's possible you have ignition noise or similar being picked up by the stereo amp and being played through the speakers? Easy to eliminate - just pull the radio fuse. Like I say, wild speculation and really unlikely :)

Good luck with the MoT (if you haven't already passed!)

Well MOT passed, no problems there.

I will try your suggestion, as the car has a new alternator and a aftermarket radio in it.

As for the engine rocking, I will ask the wife to do some forward and reverse take off's so I can see how much it rocks. I hate changing parts based on trail and error.

Well MOT passed, no problems there.

I will try your suggestion, as the car has a new alternator and a aftermarket radio in it.

As for the engine rocking, I will ask the wife to do some forward and reverse take off's so I can see how much it rocks. I hate changing parts based on trail and error.
power braking while someone watching the engine should show if the dog bone is worn

Fiat drill the bolt holes right through alloy part. Result is that bolt threads around the clutch housing (and dog bone) get corroded on the inner end. They should "crack" loose, but it's just as likely that "welded on" aluminium oxide chews the threads as you wind the bolt out.

So get under the car and treat every one of those open threads with a searching anti corrosion such as ACF-50. With luck, you'll spot the cause of your rattle but when you do take the dog bone out (or anything else around the clutch and alternator) your life will be a lot easier.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back