Power Steering Giving Out?

Currently reading:
Power Steering Giving Out?

TMS007

Howdy everyone!

I'm an American living in Italy and am about to sell my 2007 Fiat Panda. It has been sitting for a few months and completely dead. I replaced the battery and it runs great

The problem is that now the power steering randomly gives out and the red light comes on. But it fixes after awhile. Also the wheel makes a clicking sound when turning? But it might be the light clicking on?

Almost certainly due to being sitting for a few months

If you jack the front of the car up does the steering feel smooth from lock to lock

“clicking sound when turning”

Inside the car or outside?
Felt in the steering wheel?

Almost certainly due to being sitting for a few months

If you jack the front of the car up does the steering feel smooth from lock to lock

“clicking sound when turning”

Inside the car or outside?
Felt in the steering wheel?
I don't have a jack to try it out unfortunately. But the power steering gives out periodically, I'm not sure if it's one way or the other.

The clicking is coming from Inside the car. It sounds like it's coming from the steering wheel area.

Sorry about the delay, service out here sucks. Had to upload to imgur because the file was too big. Looks like it's primarily happening on turns?

Https:// imgur.com/a/9KbluBW

I think I would start by parking on some gravel or grass
Raise the revs to around 3K and rapidly move the steering wheel from lock to lock

It’s reasonably common for the steering to get in a knot after changing a battery. Sometimes flicking city mode on and off a few times also sorts it out

The earth for the steering motor is the black cable separately bolted to the negative clamp

Thanks for the advice, I'll text these out after work and double check the battery connections. I'll be sure do update this evening.

Alternator stators corrode internally and will eventually reduce performance before they seize the rotor or just stop charging. Poor charging might not light the warning lamp but it will leave the battery too low to do its job.

Check the the alternator casing for cracks and internal swelling. If it is cracked you'll need a new replacement as it's beyond repair.

The internal noise could just be the self cancelling ring at the top of the steering column. Our Uno used to do this a sort of ticking noise as you turned the wheel. A squirt of silicon lube would quieten it down for a few months but its a faff getting at it to find out.

Back