General Power steering for an '82 124 Spider

Currently reading:
General Power steering for an '82 124 Spider

66Ragman

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. I found an '82 Spider with 29 K miles that had been stored for over 25 years in a heated and air-conditioned garage. "CHOICE"! My Lady has always wanted a "Sports Car" so I latched on to this one. Before I even tried to start it, I replaced the timing belt, hoses, fluids, tires, gas tank, fuel pump, etc, etc, etc. After a good cleaning and detailing, the shakedown cruise was from Akron, Ohio to Daytona Beach, Florida and back to Akron. That little rascal performed flawlessly. We love it.
However, there is one thing that we find very difficult to deal with. I'm 82 and my Lady is,, well let's just say she too is a senior. The Fiat is a bear to steer in a parking lot or a small driveway. It is my understanding that the Spider was never offered with power steering, or was it? Can it be converted to power steering? Have any of you ever done so? Does anyone have any suggestions? The open road is fine but the slow city driving is taking the fun out of the car. Can anyone help?

Rog aka 66Ragman
'82 Fiat Spider
'66 Impala SS convert
C6 Vette
'01 Town Car

Back