Technical Power Problem JTD 115

Currently reading:
Technical Power Problem JTD 115

kayaker-ant

Morning all,
Had a trawl through the forum regarding the issue below and can't see anything jumping out at me, if anyone knows of another thread I would be very grateful if you could point me to it.

So I set off for a long drive this morning, car started fine and drove normally for about 8 miles where I stopped for fuel, upon leaving the petrol station I put my foot down as I pulled out onto a national speed limit road and when it hit about 3000rpm in second it just lost all power, managed to turn around and get it back to the house.
The whole way back it couldn't get over about 40mph with my foot to floor in 3rd. I've had power issues before which resulted in me blanking the EGR and replacing the MAF. No error messages appeared on the dash and I've given it a scan which hasn't given me any codes I didn't expect apart from P0703 - Brake Signal (different issue?).
I've had the pre-heat fault since I got the car but can't see that being the cause.
Could this be a MAP issue or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ant

Check all the large bore pipes from the air filter housing, intercooler and turbo for leaks. A common wear point is inside the left wheel arch liner.

Also, check all the small bore pipes from the boost valve for leaks. Your boost valve may be mounted on the side of the battery box, if not, it will be below the left headlamp.

You need to check all the pipes carefully, there could be a hairline crack that's not obvious.

Attachments

• Air Filter.JPG
    Air Filter.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Intercooler.JPG
    Intercooler.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Boost Valve.JPG
    Boost Valve.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Thanks,
I took the MAP off and gave it a good clean which didn't seem to make any difference.
I've taken all the panels off from the wheel arch and under carriage of the passenger side looking for anything obvious and came across this:

Looks like its been there a while, could this be cause?

Regards, Ant

COULD BE, but im not 100 % on it. the air box will be sucking in air from that hole as well, rather than through the air intake, this may be affecting the MAF or just general "suction"

tape up the hole good, and see if it makes a difference...again, im not 100%..

I'll duck tape it up in the morning and see if it makes a difference, I suspect thats not it.

So I took it round to a trusted local garage for an opinion and he questioned whether I put the right fuel in, I'm 99.9% certain I did but I was just wondering if it would continue to start and rev normally when sat still if I put petrol in?
Ant

Sounds like the boost sensor / solenoid acting up, these were the same symptoms I had, although I was getting a fault code, when it goes the turbo actuater springs back cutting out the turbo boost.

Well the petrol station kindly managed to trace my transaction and confirmed that I put diesel in so that's one worry over.
What does testing/fixing the boost solonoid entail?

I don't know any way of testing the thing, but it will either be on your battery box, or if its not already been resisted , it will be under the passenger head light. It has three wee vacuum hoses attached to it. Think a new one is about £70.
It's a very easy job to do. There is a thread on here about re siting it to battery box. Have a look at that and it will give you an idea what you would be up against.

Back