Powder Coating in Nicky Knocky Noo land

Currently reading:
Powder Coating in Nicky Knocky Noo land

Boxerscott

Hi, after 6 Salty Scottish winters our Panda Cross alloys are bubbling on the inner parts of the wheel. Thinking of powder coating them , have used Steve Turner before but would appreciate any recommendations in the Scottish Border , Lothian region.

Chris

I've never been fond of powder coating wherr it prone to chipping, I had a set of wheels done and they looked terrible after a year, damaged where stones had hit, tyre fitter had chipped paint around when bolt holes, and the 1 I managed to kerb.

Swore me off powder coating for life.

aye, it can chip as easily as k2. Found one in Edinburgh...Prowheels anyone?

Powder is rarely successful on corroded alloy. The clag just comes back through. By all means get them dip-stripped and media blasted, but then get them etch primed and painted. Easier to repair but probably similar cost to powder.

The only enameler I have found who can handle alloy is his Ward of CJ Ward in Burton on Trent. He did fabulous work on my motorbike parts. That's probably not much help to you in Edinburgh but you could get them delivered. I believe he uses an etch primer under the powder but I'm probably wrong as I doubt he will give away his trade secrets..

I've never been fond of powder coating wherr it prone to chipping, I had a set of wheels done and they looked terrible after a year, damaged where stones had hit, tyre fitter had chipped paint around when bolt holes, and the 1 I managed to kerb.

Swore me off powder coating for life.
Either must have been very tight bolt holes and wrong socket used or a bad powder coat I had my 500 Wheels done and they were perfect for around 14 month until I sold the car

Can only assume bad powder coat, wheels were apparently chemically stripped, powder coated then painted, suffered a min of 1 stone chip a wheel, and either they dropped the wheel (3 of them) on its face as all the high points had chips and the one that got kerbed was a nightmare. It effectively shattered the coating.

I'll stick with paint next time, easier to clean, correct and touch up.

surprised to hear people finding pwder oating wheels is unsucessful. I have had a few done over the years and never had an issue. The paint is thicker and I thonk less leikely to chip.. I have retouched the odd chip with matched pain and again never had an adverse reaction. I suppose its down to preapration. No craftsman would ever not strip back to metal and make good before painting. Current wheels are in their third year and are still totally pefect.. (Like me) I prep'd and repainted my trailer wheels a year ago and the rust is already back.

Back