General Potential 100HP buyer... Maybe I'm not destined to buy one!

Currently reading:
General Potential 100HP buyer... Maybe I'm not destined to buy one!

arbee

Hi people

Been looking enthusiastically at the 100HP to replace our mini one convertible - see my post in the newbies forum! but; a) need to convince mrs arbee, and b) really want to have a good look over one and drive.

Trouble is, my local (useless) dealer, Motorsales in Harlow, doesnt have one in stock and can't get one in for a test drive etc!

Anyone know of any in a dealer fairly local-ish? nearest seems t be Cambridge! How are they ever going to sell any if you cant even see one beforehand!

Are Fiat dealers typically (as) useless (as every other manufacture) ?!?

Are Fiat dealers typically (as) useless (as every other manufacture) ?!?

Probably.:rolleyes:

In the meantime why not visit 'Schwenck's site dedicated to the 100hp? -www.100hp.co.uk - it has loads of pics, reviews and video clips of the 100HP to keep you amused until you find a dealer with one in stock - try Autotrader and search for 'Trade' sellers of 100hp's say 10-20 miles from your postcode - that should flag up any dealers with one on the forecourt (good enough for a sit in it and a test drive I'd have thought).(y)

Just tried a random search for you based on a Harlow postcode:

Nearest seems to be 25 miles (Ancaster Catford FIAT) -Black & blue

& at 29 miles (Thames Croyden) - Blue & red

Hope this helps - a circa 60 mile round trip in the mini on the cards for the weekend?

Last edited:
:D Morning...harlow to catford...ruddy nighmare...right across town.
desira in southgate,n london or there is hopkins in hainault,probably the nearest.....
Just had a quick look at glyn hopkins...branch in bishops stortford,and 1 in chelmsford..give them a ring, I am sure they can source a 100 hp demonstrator...PS...had mine since August,get the o/h to come on test drive, the suspension is a bit of an eye opener.
But worth it,cracking car.....

Last edited:
You can show missus arbee and test drive one anywhere local, even if it is private.. Then pick your dealer further away to do the serious bits, ordering etc...

That is what we done. We decided on the 100hp locally, then traveled into the next county to the dealership we felt confident in. EMG Cambridge was our dealer of choice.

We were buying new so any other 100hp would of been the same but we felt confident in the advice and service from Cambridge (well actually, they are starting to p1ss me awf a bit now but that is another story for another day)

cheers. yeah catford and croydon are both grief as theyre the wrong side of 'town'. Cambridge is actually quicker to get to and we have to go ooop norrf at the weekend so will hopefully pop in to EMG on the way up - they seem to have one in stock :)

3 main questions that I'm hoping wont be deal breakers...

1) I've read all the reviews etc and am a big evo fan -Is the suspension THAT bad? we have a new mini which has been running on 17" run flats so the ride isnt geat, but then again it hasnt been too 'choppy' - Is it the harshness or more the choppiness that is most noticable?

2) Am I gonna really notice a cheapness to the Panda after the mini (we also run a Focus ST in which i think the trim quality is more than acceptable enough)

3) Not that I'll be ordering just yet (I doubt) but what kinda discount should I expect from a dealer like EMG? Ordered the mini through drivethedeal.co.uk which was a plesant experience and can see they can source me a 100HP new from a UK dealer for sub £8.5k :)

In the meanwhile I'll be taking a look at that link :)

Ta in adavnce!

1) Is the suspension THAT bad?

2) Am I gonna really notice a cheapness to the Panda after the mini

3) what kinda discount should I expect from a dealer like EMG?

Hey arbee,

Here's my thoughts having just picked up our 100hp on Saturday...

1) It's a bit bouncy on bumpy roads, but I was imagining it to be a lot harsher than it actually is....Sure it's lively, but the way it goes round bends (like it's on rails) more than makes up for it! :D

2) Ok so it's a bit plasticky in places but it certainly doesn't feel cheap. Great seats and a decent wheel and gearknob make for an enjoyable cockpit.

3) We paid £8555 with the metallic paint option for a brand-new 100hp (not pre-reg'd) The bonus was, when it arrived it had the red badges!

All in all...Buy this car! It will make you smile like a buffoon whenever you go out in it and go out of your way to find twisty roads on the way home!

Daz

Its a small car so I expected a choppy ride after owning a stilo ..mind you mine is the 1.2 and not the 100hp so I suppose the 100hp may have a even slightly firmer ride being the hot hatch of the family ..

You have a mini one.

I've driven a mini cooper S and yes it was really good but was it £8000 better than the HP100? I wouldn't say so...anyway not as far as I can remember.:cool:

I picked my HP100 up for £8395. For that money you absolutely cannot go wrong.(y)

If you're into mini's, I'm pretty confident you'll love the HP :slayer:.

Test drove the 100HP yesterday as I wasn't sure if I wanted that or the 1.3 multijet that powered the sporting. The ride wasn't hard at all IMO but it also wasn't quite as fast as I was expecting. I didn't think is was fast enough to ignore the £35 a year tax and 70mpg of the 1.3 multijet Dynamic so ordered that instead but with a few extra's :)

Enjoy! What colour?

I fancied climate and side protectors but I wanted roof rails too.

Thanks to FIAT's 'unusual' pricing, it would have cost me around £900 with climate and these accessories as opposed to £550 for the Aircon pack including accessories so I succumbed to the latter and I ordered the split and sliding rear seat (£200) instead!

I wanted gunmetal grey like the 100HP, but not available on the options so then looked at the other grey which looked dark on the website but was bright silver so went for the metalic black so no need to worry about the pillar colours :)

It's being made next week.

Enjoy! What colour?

I fancied climate and side protectors but I wanted roof rails too.

Thanks to FIAT's 'unusual' pricing, it would have cost me around £900 with climate and these accessories as opposed to £550 for the Aircon pack including accessories so I succumbed to the latter and I ordered the split and sliding rear seat (£200) instead!

out of interest, can you tell me what accessories the 'aircon pack' comes with - also, i assume its the manual aircon?

the multijet is fantastic value for money - cracking engine too. different to the 100hp but definitely a consideration. beware of the soft ride tho, wallows round corners a little..but all good fun :)

To get the digital push button climate control you need to ask for Auto climate control, the aircon pack comes with the manual controls. Not sure what you get with the Aircon pack but with the auto climate you get electric mirrors and remote central locking as well or so I was told so will wait n see. Not sure why you were quoted £900 as it came up on the screen as £595 rather than £550

Last edited:
The aircon pack comes with roof bars, side rubbing strips, front fog lights and a driver side vanity mirror (? essential piece of kit for the Panda since it is apparently driven by the older woman ;) ).

My red-badged MJ with the aircon pack DOESN'T have foglights included..... (but I did get the driver's sun visor mirror!)

The £900 was climate control + roof bars + side rubbing strips separately.

Last edited:
I collected my brand new Panda 100HP on December 22nd 2006 and sadly I sold it around 2 months ago for an HGT Punto. My reasons for selling where it simply wasn’t fast enough and I wanted to lower my finance a wee bit as I paid £10.550 for mine :eek:!

1) Is the suspension THAT bad?
To be fair you have to consider these people in EVO are used to driving all sorts of top of the range cars and taking them through their paces! Ok... It is a little bumpy but the ride itself is fantastic and it feels like its glued to the road (y) 8/10

2) Am I going to really notice a cheapness to the Panda after the mini
The quality of the dash is good, there are very few rattles and everything seems bolted together very well and just a note on the plastic used and the design gives it a more lavish look 8/10 for me!

3) what kind of discount should I expect from a dealer like EMG?
I think there are deals to be had now, I couldn’t wait and paid full price but if you are prepared to walk away and leave your number let them sweat a lost sale and let them ring you back! Also try http://www.fiatsupasaver.com/default.aspx :D

Just to add on the performance note I mentioned earlier, the engine sounds lovely and is a credit to Fiat but it does make you feel like you’re going faster than you are! If you are like me I had Sports mode on all the time and I found 28 MPG on V-Power was the best I could get which is thirsty for a 1.4 16V and 100HP isn’t what we call ground breaking for a 1.4!

If I compare my HGT Punto and 100HP Panda I wouldn’t go back to the Panda as the Punto drives and grips the same but without the bounce, the seats are about the most comfy seats yet so sporty that I have ever been in while the Panda's seemed a little flat but other than the few niggles go for it! :slayer: you wont be disappointed!

Enjoy!

Back