possible ubuntu newbie

Currently reading:
possible ubuntu newbie

ok, probably a thousand places out there to ask these question but I thought I would ask real people on here who may have/used ubuntu

read about it here a lot, and elsewhere, I like the concept, so thought I would see what its all about - I have downloaded it, put it on a cd, and run it as a demo on startup from the cd, and I have to say I quite like it - which leads me to ask a few questions as to what to do next:

1. Can I install it to a "slave" hard drive?

2. Will it wipe out any Windows XP settings?

3. I use MS Frontpage to maintain websites, will I still be able to use it? or does it have to be run from XP?

4. If I uninstall ubuntu, what are the consequences?

I use a home network, can I carry on doing so?

There was supposed to be more Q's than that, cant think of them now!!

thanks

1. Can I install it to a "slave" hard drive?

Yes

2. Will it wipe out any Windows XP settings?

Not if you install it as a "dual boot". Then you can have both Ubuntu and XP on the same machine. The Ubuntu install can do this automatically for you.

3. I use MS Frontpage to maintain websites, will I still be able to use it? or does it have to be run from XP?

Needs XP

4. If I uninstall ubuntu, what are the consequences?

None, though you will need to have another OS to use and you might need to redo the boot file (which is easy and can be done from the XP CD)

I use a home network, can I carry on doing so?

Yes

MS Frontpage can be used in the WINdows Emulator (WINE) without a problem. Why you are using Frontpage, however, is a different problem ;)

Ubuntu is lovely :)

:D

Was only teasing.

I hate Dreamweaver too.

The only problem with Frontpage is the actual HTML code that it creates. Its not the cleanest or neatest and is not W3C compliant. However, that is not the purpose of this thread so I'll stop talking about it :)

So yeah, Ubuntu.
Its lovely :D

I've been using ubuntu 8.10 for a while now. I have two machines at home, one with windows, one with ubuntu. I have not turned on the windows machine for a couple of weeks now. Even my wife doesn't use the windows machine, now that is saying something.

But I am having problems installing the latest version 9.04 onto my laptop, but its probably more to do with the lappy than the OS.

W3C complliance is a standard for readability and for impaired users w3c offer a compliance check and the errors in any code if you want on there site, html in general can be difficult to meet these standards CSS is the way to go tbh...

Back