Technical Possible Suspension problem?

Currently reading:
Technical Possible Suspension problem?

Right Percy Flew through the MOT :)
HORAY! :)
only got 2 advisories
1 the center pipe/box has started to crack and is only slightly leaking exhaust emissions

the other been the front Nearside (passenger) tire been at legal limit
So your asking what am i going on about - there both simple jobs

The Query i have is this:-
Both front tyre were replaced at the same time, so that its all balanced for braking and driving purposes, But how can 1 tire be getting close to the Legal limit when one tire is still pretty good!

No Shaking - No real tugging - No pulling - No Nothing (except city is on and the car always wanders to the right)

Where does that leave me?

Ziggy

i had a similar problem with my punto mk1. try your tracking at your local garage. and quite rightly your camber could be mis-aligned. this shouldnt cost you any more than £20 to have checked.

A Note as well - the tyre has worn pretty much flat, No Signs of chunks/scrubbing or side Shoulder wear either side, just seems the car sits heavy on that 1 Wheel

Tire may have been under inflated for some time.

Nope they never been low
28psi is manual recomendation, however i run at 32psi, it grip and rids alot better
Touch better MPG, and gives fairly even wear across tyre

Cud be tracking or I think u need to recalibrate the power steering if it pulling to 1 side, posistoin sensor may be out a degree.

Tracking for Normal, but city mode, i think is just as it is after alot of trouble i had with it
Will Go to a Laser Setup place and have it checked

Ziggy

Last edited:
Ideally check for toe-in/out and castor/camber, but that needs a chassis jig rather than a tyre garage laser tracking system.

The wheels are tied together by the steering rack and track rods so the power steering should not affect anything below the rack. Its probably toe'd in (or out) a bit too much with the car prefering to scrub one side more than the other. VWs for example often pull left regardless of what is actually wrong on the tracking.

Near side tires do wear faster in UK mostly I assume because of roundabouts. There is more stress on them and they tend to be the first to spin and loose traction which means they should wear out faster.

Back