Technical Possible headgasket problems?? please Help..

Currently reading:
Technical Possible headgasket problems?? please Help..

cartsa

hi guys,

i have a 2001 X reg mk2 punto 8v wich overheated and cut on me a few weeks ago. I took it to my local garage and he said it was the head gasket and i needed to take it to another garage because he couldnt do it. (nice guy he didnt charge me for looking)

anyways after reading stuff on here im a bit puzzled to why it doesnt show the typical sign of water in the oil or oil in the water??

however it does?

--> turn the fan on for quite a while after the engine has stopped

--> started to use a lot of coolant, plus it has been stood not running since brought it back from garage and the water has completely emptied (although no evidence on my drive?)

--> there is also a high pitched squeek like noise, similar to that of loose fan belt but its not the fan belt.

seems to start really well, although have not driven it anywhere since to avoid doing futher damage if it is the gasket.

Has anyone any ideas to what it could be? instructions to how i could check? If it is the head how to i check if it is warpped and how do i change the gasket?

i have another car so i am quite keen to try fix this myself (unless needs skimming of course)

Any warmly recieved, i look ofrward to hearing from you all.

Cheers
Simon

Also just remembered the heater stopped working a couple of weeks before this happened? if this is a symptom for anything?

Chers Simon

it could just be gone between a water way an cylinder, thay wont mix the oil an water, the noise is probably the can belt tensioner bearing, change the belt and bearing and water pump at the same time

Thanks for your quik reply.

the cam belt was only changed a couple of thousand miles ago, does it need changing again?

Also i took the air filter off so could get better look and there was a little bit of oil on the outside of the head?

If it is just gone on a water way and cylinder is it justa matter of changing the gasket or could this still warp the head?

were do you think fiat belts come from

gates

the cam belt may have been over tightened and caused tensioner to fail so soon and maybe the water pump has been stressed too causing water leak

but you seem pretty sure the water is not leaking out so most likely head gasket

this would also cause tensioner failure as the heat would cause the grease to come out the bearing

your best bet is to change head gasket and skim head also replace thermostat and cam belt tensioner as these 2 items almost always suffer from excessive heat

it's up to you weather you want to change the water pump but if it's not to expensive go for it

fiat say you can reuse a belt under 20k miles old

Cheers gents,

it does seem that i am goin to have to take it to the garage after all. :-(

Will let you know how it goes.
Simon

hi guys! thank god i found this forum!! i've had non-stop trouble with my 52 plate punto sport for about a year now! for months now the engine has been heating up to the red line on gauge, then as i pick up speed it goes done again! when the car is stationary for a time, it overheats too. i've had the thermostat replaced, the engine cleaned out, and the gasket replaced about 6 months ago. the last time i used it, the heater inside the car didn't heat up for ages, then later on that day, i was stuck in traffic and the there was a rattling noise coming from the engine area as i accelorated. there was no power even wen i was hard on the accelorator. it eventually cut out and was a bit smokey...luckily i was just round the corner from my house! ha!
can anyone shed any light on this problem? i'm desperate!

Back