Technical poor running 1.1 mpi

Currently reading:
Technical poor running 1.1 mpi

mikerotch

ciao! ive got a 2003 seicento sporting abarth and im afraid i might've abused it past its limit.

for starters, it loses coolant and at a very quick rate lol i dropped my brother this morning a 15 minute drive and i made sure to top off the coolant before i left but midway through i lost almost all of it. check engine light came up at that point and the idle became very rough almost choppy. when i came back home and opened the hood the motor was vibrating a lot. and also it seems that whenever there is less coolant, the gearstick becomes very loose and floppy (wayyy more than usual haha) and the clutch pedal doesnt feel the same it becomes very easy to press down. the alternator also seems to make a loud screeching noise but this is only when im in full lock to one side of the steering wheel and until i get to the 3rd gear the sound continues. also when i check oil levels with the dipstick it covers way more than what it should hahaha my poor 1.1 has seen life! appreciate any and all help id go to a garage here but italian mechanics charge a kidney to do anything

mike rotch

To lose that much coolant you must have a serious leak (radiator) or the head gasket is split.

You don't say that there's coolant all over the floor, but anyway my guess is the head gasket is knackered. The oil level is high because all your coolant is inside the sump, and the oil is floating on top of it.

Don't use the car until you repair the head gasket. The lubrication system is full of coolant so you will destroy the crankshaft bearings, camshaft and the oil pump. If you have a shed full of spare engines, that's great... but I guess you don't, so give the car a break and fix it.

The alternator belt is the least of your problems. You just have to undo a big nut on the side of the engine, rotate the alternator towards the engine block, remove the belt... fit a new one, push the alternator away from the engine as hard as you can, using your hands.. and then tighten the lock nut. It should take 20 minutes..

Ralf S.

To lose that much coolant you must have a serious leak (radiator) or the head gasket is split.

You don't say that there's coolant all over the floor, but anyway my guess is the head gasket is knackered. The oil level is high because all your coolant is inside the sump, and the oil is floating on top of it.

Don't use the car until you repair the head gasket. The lubrication system is full of coolant so you will destroy the crankshaft bearings, camshaft and the oil pump. If you have a shed full of spare engines, that's great... but I guess you don't, so give the car a break and fix it.

The alternator belt is the least of your problems. You just have to undo a big nut on the side of the engine, rotate the alternator towards the engine block, remove the belt... fit a new one, push the alternator away from the engine as hard as you can, using your hands.. and then tighten the lock nut. It should take 20 minutes..

Ralf S.
you absolute legend! appreciate the advice

Back