General Poor Fuel Economy GP 1.9 Sporting

Currently reading:
General Poor Fuel Economy GP 1.9 Sporting

minibbb

My 56 plate GP 1.9 Sporting is averaging 37-39 mpg at the moment and does around 320 to the tank maximum. This seems pretty low! The car had done 9200 miles and is due a service this month as its a year old. Any ideas why the economy is bad??
I sold my Cooper S to buy the GP and im not noticing much of a drop in fuel costs!!

blimey! i am getting 44mpg matey just knocking around, going to work through traffic etc. i get around 60 on the motorway! i came from a megane 225 for the same reason, that was doing 22mpg, but i am quite happy with my GP. its done about 5.5k miles. :) HTH

How do you drive your Sporting?
Do you put your foot down alot? Or do you drive steady everywhere?

When I first had my 1.9 sporting I put my foor down quite a bit for the first week, I only averaged 39.6

When I chill in it I can get ALOT more

I still say driving style is probably the most important economy device. :)

I get at least 47mpg knocking about, 56 - 59 @ steady 70mph on a M/way trip (light load just me in the car) and "enjoying" the car! (y)

I also have 3 original Bridgestone tyres at 12k miles on the oddometer, and about half worn. The 4th was replaced due to an unrepairable puncture. :D

Heres the bet :-

"Those with poor economy and 10k or more miles on the clock are not still on their original tyres" :rolleyes:

Spirited driving and cornering does it. :slayer:

Now I wait for the spamming! :eek:

Heres the bet :-

"Those with poor economy and 10k or more miles on the clock are not still on their original tyres" :rolleyes:

I agree....I regularly get about 35-39 Mpg and I have just replaced al four tyres on my sporting after 11,000 miles :D

I did buy it to drive though

320 per tank is good compared to my fiesta at the moment, i'm only getting 260. lol

Hey mate,

Would suggest probably driving conditions/style but as suggested better get it checked. I also traded from a Cooper S and I've been well pleased, going from 34mpg (admittedly better than the manufacturer's figures but still rubbish) to 46.5 now.

Did you check what the computer said for average mpg when you got it - and has it changed much since then? Some people don't trust the computer, but I find the range meter on that more reliable than the wildly innaccurate fuel guage. Either way it might tell you whether it's got better or worse since you had it.

You say you are getting 37-39 mpg,its a 10 gallon tank,that should be 370-390 miles per tank,if you are only getting 320 either you are not running a full tank or you're only getting 32mpg,its in the maths

Exactly! 320 miles per tankful = 32mpg. The GP has a 10gallon tank.

I get 37-39mpg in town driving including a 7 mile blast on the motorway every morning to go to work... If I am REALLY careful with the accelerator, I can easily achieve 45-48mpg, no more.

Get the dealer to check your vehicle, in the meantime try some quality fuels such as Shell Extra or BP ultimate, you will probably see some difference there! Good luck!

Cheers for all the thoughts guys!! I guess I am a enthusiastic driver, never rev her too hard though!! When I fisrt fill up the mpg shows around 44 but soon drops to around 39. Never seen more than 45 I don't think! My tank takes £37 worth of fuel. When I next fill up I will see how much I fit into the tank in order to work out what was left in there (if my tank is exactly 10 gallons). I drive until the yellow light comes on normally, never know how many miles I have left!!

Im sure it used to do more mpg, maybe im just driving it harder. I have a 15 mile commute on a 60 limit road. Is a service likely to improve mpg? Will hopefully be getting a remap soon, I have heard this helps!!

Once again, thanks for your help!

Cheers for all the thoughts guys!! I guess I am a enthusiastic driver, never rev her too hard though!! When I fisrt fill up the mpg shows around 44 but soon drops to around 39. Never seen more than 45 I don't think! My tank takes £37 worth of fuel. When I next fill up I will see how much I fit into the tank in order to work out what was left in there (if my tank is exactly 10 gallons). I drive until the yellow light comes on normally, never know how many miles I have left!!

Im sure it used to do more mpg, maybe im just driving it harder. I have a 15 mile commute on a 60 limit road. Is a service likely to improve mpg? Will hopefully be getting a remap soon, I have heard this helps!!

Once again, thanks for your help!

Christ!! I get an average 49mpg - & I've got a tuning box fitted - giving me approx 170 bhp.....

There is something wrong with your car pal......:confused:

Christ!! I get an average 49mpg - & I've got a tuning box fitted - giving me approx 170 bhp.....

I am not qualified to be anything like an expert and there may be something wrong with the GP inquestion, but honestly, driving at low revs in a high gear does not improve economy at all. :shakehead
I have covered 12k miles now, and left my "Trip B" setting all alone throughout. It shows, over all my mixed driving types, I have done approx 48.9 mpg since my ownership began (I know the computer is not 100% accurate and a better way of working out MPG is mathematically but it is a good enough estimation.) And I do not Nanny it at all, but equally I dont cane it, I just drive it like it was meant to be driven, with heart, soul and sympathy. (y)

A tuning box can often improve economy

I can't see anything wrong with his car, everybody who has posted higher mpg figures has also said they don't drive them hard. When i'm giving it some beans in mine i return about 39mpg aswell.

38 to 43 mpg is about right for normal driving in a m-jet.only when its remapped or tunit box fitted it improves.normal driving conditions i get 48-49mpg with the tunit box fitted,drive it like pensioner i can get almost 62mpg,but that's so f***ing boring.......:yuck: having a small tank in the gp makes you think at times your always puting fuel in.....:confused:

Well driving home this morning I drove like a total granny and got 40.3 mpg, im def getting a remap done!!!

I am not quite sure what a granny is classed as :) my dad is 60 and does not drive slow lol
I average about 44mpg, but i admit i drive at 80 ish on the motorway and like to get to that speed quickly when joining etc, plus i then have a number of miles on 30 and 40 and 60 roads which can often be stop start. I think you must just be giving it some ommph. I have also just had it serviced so dont rely on that being the answer.

Well driving home this morning I drove like a total granny and got 40.3 mpg, im def getting a remap done!!!

Forget the remap until you've had it checked over for any fuel leaks. I managed to average 40MPG in a (courtesy:D ) 1.4 16v Sporting, A/C on, at mainly motorway speeds with 'spirited' driving, no problem. A Diesel should get approx 40MPG around town, and far more on the motorway.

We had a customer come in for his first 1.9Mjet service, commenting that he'd had poor fuel economy... turned out there was a split in the fuel tank vent hose causing most of the fuel to leak out and saturate everything under the car in diesel- he hadn't even noticed the large pool of fuel whenever he parked-up, or that the rear bumper was caked in greasy dirt! :bang:

Seriously, get it in for the service and mention the poor MPG, that way the tech will definately carry-out a thorough check of the fuel circuit and put your mind at ease.

Then have fun... :devil:

ps. I'd trust the Trip MPG over working it out tankful to tankful anyday.

Back