Votes: 22 53.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Voted yes. In the case of really vicious crimes where the offender knew what they were doing and the evidence is indisputable. Why should they be kept alive on tax payers money with the possibility they may have freedom again.

I think the death penalty for a murderer (for instance) is an easy way out for them.

I would prefer to see them in a prison (not one of these open prisons, but a sit in your cell 24/7) and not give them the oppertunity of bail/parole.

I know the tax payer pays for them to be in prison, but i think victims and their freinds and family would prefer to know that the criminal is suffering being bars, rather than only having to face up to the eleccy chair.

Only my opinion

I think the death penalty for a murderer (for instance) is an easy way out for them.

I would prefer to see them in a prison (not one of these open prisons, but a sit in your cell 24/7) and not give them the oppertunity of bail/parole.

I know the tax payer pays for them to be in prison, but i think victims and their freinds and family would prefer to know that the criminal is suffering being bars, rather than only having to face up to the eleccy chair.

Only my opinion

Only my opinion

Only my opinion

Only my opinion

Only my opinion

im quite saddened to see that the views of normal people are in favour of bringing back the death penalty.

IMO some of these criminals who commit acts like the Bulger case, Moors murderers, Billie-jo etc do deserve to die. BUT, one of the major reasons why i feel proud to live in what we laughingly call the civilised world, is that we dont have to retaliate to these crimes with the same act.

Mahatma Gandi once said, " An eye for an eye would leave the whole world blind"

I personally cant think of a better way to put it.

I believe we do need adequate punishment for crimes, harsher jail terms, less priviliges. If you act unhumanely, then you give up your rights to be human and therefore should be treated as you treat others i.e have your freedom taken.

But capital punishment is not the way forwards, its the way backwards.

I voted no.
If you get the trial verdict wrong, you can't go back.
It's a double-standard saying it's wrong to kill, unless it's state sanctioned.
What message does it send to children growing up that it's normal and acceptable for people to be killed? I wouldn't want my child growing up thinking that.
If you say the penalty for murder is death, then if someone is going to commit a crime with that punishment then they may as well go on the rampage and murder as many people as they like - they're going to die anyway.

Personally I believe that those who have committed crime should be made to work in order to bring some benefit back to society.
For whoever it was that mentioned about prison warders sueing, I assume you mean the recent case? More details of what they went through are at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4811158.stm - particularly the line "One of them was obliged to attempt resuscitation on Bloomfield despite his obvious death".

H

in certain cases i understand why people may consider bringin back the death penalty, however, by commiting murder then the individuals inflict pain and suffering on innocent peoples family and friends - killing them provides them an easy way out they dont have to consider what they have done as at the end of the trial they are dead & forgotten about (in some cases).

imo the govnt should make life exactly that!! none of this 25 years rubbish. i cant believe that the bulger killers have been given new identities and in the past 12 months have both broken their probaition by returning to their home town and yet are still free???

there are arguements for and against and no-one will ever 100% agree, but im sure for the parents of some of the victims it is much more satisfying to know that the murderer/rapist etc is suffering in prison. well thats my opinion any way.

Think about it like this for all those who voted yes.

Your Son, Daughter, Mum, Dad or other close family or mabe even best friend went out one day and then you got a knock on the door from the Police saying a person which matches thier description had commited rape/murder.

Your close relative or best friend had no back up to there where abouts as they were alone and with all the CCTV about was seen in the area and was the only person in that are with that description.

Your close family relative or best friend was put to trial with a potential penalty of death and they screamed innocent and you believed them while everyone else just looked at them with disgust.

They were given the death sentence a few months later and were wrongly convivted and this came about because the real killer was grassed up by a mate.

How would you feel? And what could you have done about the mistake to make things better? ask for some money?

On the flip side, I know people who have rightly defended themselves when attacked by criminals or people with intent to harm have crossed them. the people I know were put away while the criminals walked free simply because the criminal was not as hard as he made himself out to be and took a beating which made it look like they were the ones being attacked.

Would we be no longer allowed to defend ourselves if approached in he street by a would be mugger, just incase they died by thier own weapon in a struggle?

On another flip side I do feel that if someone videos a major offence on thier mobile phone or is caught blatently on colour CCTV commiting a major unprovoked offence such as Murder, Rape, Child Molesting then these people should be worthy of the death sentence only because we all know it was them, they were seen doing it, there were witnesses and all of them confirmed it was the criminal in question.

Don't know if any of you remember hearing on the news about the guy who axed someone in the back of the head down swiss cottage late last year?

He axed someone then gave himself up. if was found he axed that person because when he was young that man used to molest him and he felt something had to be done about it, so it was not an unprovoked attack but I think he had good reason to do it.

Would you give him the death sentence?

We can all see where this country is goin......

Prisoners getting playstations and massages and driving lessons???
OAP's getting *** all??
Drug dealers getting richer and richer??
The rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer??
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

Somthing has to be done, Britain is too full of selfish pussys.
Nothing will be done if "we" dont do anything, most people just sit and mumble about it and let goverment raises taxes, stich up the BRITISH PUBLIC

Do any of you think the rest of the world has room for british people?
Becasue the UK will be like eastern europe, no econamy, no health care, no law, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Any way where was i.............o yes......the death penalty..........PUBLIC HANGINGS!!!
O let the reletives have the killer one on one in a room..........

and its ALL caused by people who dont care about the conceqences (The goverment).

Biz said:
We can all see where this country is goin......

Prisoners getting playstations and massages and driving lessons???
OAP's getting *** all??
Drug dealers getting richer and richer??
The rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer??
etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

Somthing has to be done, Britain is too full of selfish pussys.
Nothing will be done if "we" dont do anything, most people just sit and mumble about it and let goverment raises taxes, stich up the BRITISH PUBLIC

Do any of you think the rest of the world has room for british people?
Becasue the UK will be like eastern europe, no econamy, no health care, no law, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Any way where was i.............o yes......the death penalty..........PUBLIC HANGINGS!!!
O let the reletives have the killer one on one in a room..........

and its ALL caused by people who dont care about the conceqences (The goverment).

Yes mate agree with you prison should mean just that they get TV etc when in my opinion they should get none of it (n) prison should be an institution where the environment is harsh and then they may think twice about re-offending [bring back the cat]for some crimes and let them feel leather on their backs I have no sympathy at all for the criminal the law should be tightened up and give them a dose of what they give out to other people MISSERY

I voted no, because:

I read an article written by a death-row vicar and in his time at the jail he gave the last rites to 99 people.

8 were PROVEN innocent - to late

15 were a bit iffy

and another 14 were so mentally ill that they couldnt even percieve what life and death was.

But if it was only with 110% proof, you could end up with one rule for one person and a different rule for another. It would be far too hard to implement

Well I think its a proper deterrent.

Kill and be killed.

As for the innocent thing, they should do stuff like lie detector checks and that sort of thing more often....

arseofbox said:
Well I think its a proper deterrent.

Kill and be killed.

As for the innocent thing, they should do stuff like lie detector checks and that sort of thing more often....

ah.. that'd be why where they have the death sentence in america theres no murders anymore..oh wait a sec..

As for lie detectors, well they're not 100% accurate either are they. They monitor what, heartbeat, bloodpressure, sweat, temperature?

arc said:
it is the proving it thats the problem, this thread was sparked off what those guys did to them two girls - yes it was horrific, and personally i think they should the same done to them.

But then as you listen to the news, you see this story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4826802.stm

Everyone seemed so sure when he was first convicted, what if he had been put to death over it, after all as far as everyone was concerned he'd killed 13 year old girl.

To kill someone is a certaintity, theres no backing up, no retrial - can anyone ever be sure anyone is without a doubt guilty of anything. Who gives anyone the right to say someone should die?

faster4_tec said:
I think death though is the easy way out, torturing would be much better

Exactly what I was going to say, don't know how because I wouldnt have the stomach to do such a thing, unless I was emotionally involved.

Back