police rant

Currently reading:
police rant

Get in the left lane if you're not overtaking. Problem solved. I be arse to you as well if you were happily dozing along in the right lane.

TBH it does anoy me also, along with flipping middle lane hogs :bang:

'oh we'll only have to pull out again in 60 sec time'

'tough ****, thats what your suppost to do :mad: :bang:'

I believe that the Police dont need to have their lights on.
It is a matter of choice for the officer concerned who will use blues and twos when he or she considers it necessary but there is no legal requirement.

well i over took cars and stayed in the right hand lane.

and so did the police...
Because he wanted to overtake you. Thats what the right hand lane is for.

The Highway code para 137 is clear that the right hand lane is for overtaking or turning right and that you should move back in to the left hand lane when safe to do so.

The Highway code para 144 says that you must not drive without reasonable consideration for other road users. First you ignore para 137 then you deliberately obstruct a police car, then you deliberately tailgate a police car. Thats THREE different breaches of the reasonable consideration rules.

No one knows why the police car was in a hurry. It may have been to save somebodys life or to deal with a serious incident. The last thing they need is idiot drivers to get in the way.

Last edited:
i thought the police car did tailgate beau first, cant have 1 rule for some and not others.
He shouldn't have been in that lane. He should have moved over when another car came up behind him. He should have moved over when flashed by a police car.
Vehicles being used for police purposes are exempt from some aspects of road traffic law. As are ambulances, fire appliances, bomb disposal, blood transfusion and all sorts of other vehicles used for emergency purposes.

also if the traffic is heavy you queue in lane not hop from 1 to the other all the time trying to get to the front
He wasn't being asked to lane hop. Just to obey the rules.

its a 50 limit, he was doing 50, if everyone moved to the left lane the left lane would go no where, the traffic is too heavy to do that. i does not sound like the police car was going any where important if they later had time to stop and shout an swear at beau.
most police are ok and going about doing their job, but there are the odd 1 or 2 that abuse their position to bully people.

This is why i advise beau to report it and let it get fully investigated, If they have done no wrong then they have nothing to worry about

No one knows why the police car was in a hurry. It may have been to save somebodys life or to deal with a serious incident. The last thing they need is idiot drivers to get in the way.

But to be fair to beau, if they then slowed to 10mph for beau to catch up, to then pull him over...where was the justification for the previous speed?
They were obviously not on a call.
Which puts me in mind of the officer recently jailed for killing a child while abusing his powers behind the wheel.

And, shouting at a member of the public, without provocation is also not on.

If this was me, I would be reporting the officer, Beau did not break the law, even if he did commit minor faults while driving....who doesn't, in fact I can think of a list of things that fall foul of lane hogging tbh

Beau I don't agree with the coppers atitude but to be fair would it have been that hard to pull into the left lane let them passed and then pull back out to continue overtaking the slower cars?

The police driver may have been going somewhere in a hurry where blues and two would not be appropriate therefore making his prescence known to you with a flash of his headlights was more than enough for you to move over, however you didn't - can't blame him for pulling you further along your journey. However shouting at you is not appropriate - however in his mind he may have thought that was a valid technique for getting through to someone who blatently had no respect for the authority of a police car that was needed to progress through traffic quicker than you.

MEP: count me in as long as the price if right.

its a 50 limit, he was doing 50, if everyone moved to the left lane the left lane would go no where, the traffic is too heavy to do that. i does not sound like the police car was going any where important if they later had time to stop and shout an swear at beau.
most police are ok and going about doing their job, but there are the odd 1 or 2 that abuse their position to bully people.

This is why i advise beau to report it and let it get fully investigated, If they have done no wrong then they have nothing to worry about

Regardless of whether Beau was doing 50 or not, the Highway Code clearly stipulates that you KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING on a dual carriageway/ multi-carriageway road/ motorway. Once an overtaking manouevre has taken place then the driver should pull back to the innner lane as soon as it is clear and safe to do so.

Also, we've only heard Beau's side of the story. How do we know there's not more to this incident than what he tells us? And bear in mind that the Police have had a difficult time dealing with all the NYE morons, so it's hardly surprising that their patience is a bit worn when coming across drivers not driving correctly.

And sorry Beau, but hogging an outside lane with a Police car behind you, then letting them past only to sit up their backside is foolhardy to say the least...

its a 50 limit, he was doing 50,
However, the police clearly felt they needed to go faster than 50. Which they are entitled to do when it is necessary for the proper execution of their duties.

i does not sound like the police car was going any where important if they later had time to stop and shout an swear at beau.
There are all sorts of reasons why that happens. They may have been stood down because another car was found to be making better progress on a different road. A road where the civilian drivers were obeying the highway code and not obstructing the police.

I think he should report the incident. They may well welcome the opportunity to have a word with him.

They were obviously not on a call.
When a call goes out which needs a quick response any car in the area will respond by speeding up and heading in the right direction. Its only when they all radio in that control makes a decision about how many cars are needed and which one(s) should continue to respond. The ones not required slow down. Leaving a lot people with the incorrect belief that they could not have been on a call.

Which puts me in mind of the officer recently jailed for killing a child while abusing his powers behind the wheel.
One death on the road is one too many. But, in spite of the huge mileage covered by police, they are responsible for a tiny fraction of road deaths. The majority of deaths are caused by civilian drivers who were convinced they were driving safely. Until they killed somebody.

And, shouting at a member of the public, without provocation is also not on.
I thought they had quite a lot of provocation.

if they wanted to pass why not flash straight away? they tailgated him for ages, when they did flash he did move over straight away

This reminds me of something my father used to say to me:

You know what? You were in the right. I'll make sure that's on your tombstone.

I'd be curious to know the outcome if this is reported. Personally, I see a cop and no matter what I think, I give them right of way. They might be on the way to a job. They might not be. The 5 seconds it takes me to get out of the way could be life and death if they get called to a job while I'm in front of them. Is me doing whatever I'm up to likely to be more important? Doubtful.

if they wanted to pass why not flash straight away? they tailgated him for ages, when they did flash he did move over straight away

If they were behind him 'for ages' and still he didn't pull over, despite knowing a Police car was behind him, well, once again the OP shows a distinct lack of awareness and adherence to road regulations.

How many times do we have threads on here complaining about bad driving/ lane hogging along with whinging that the Police never do anything about it, and here we do have the Police doing something about it and now people start whinging about the Police doing their job?

Show the road respect and the Police also and you shouldn't have any problems. It's no coincidence that some drivers always seem to get stopped and/ or end up having knocks. And finally, if Beau really thinks that he was treated unjustly then by all means he should make a complaint. He should bear in mind though that he sat in front of a Police car 'for ages' on the outside lane of a dual carriageway when he should have pulled over and they probably have film footage showing this...

this has gone abit over the top now lol.

when the police flashed me, i moved over straight away, we then came to a round about soon after, i am about a cars length behind and he then comes in my lane and out and in and out with no indication so i follow him to see what was going on and to get his num plate.

they obviously wasnt going anywhere because if they was they would have blue lights flashing and not slow down for the camera.

and chas, i did really want to indicate to move over cos the unos indicators dont work properly and i didnt want to get pulled for faulty lights or not indicating.

Last edited:
this has gone abit over the top now lol.

when the police flashed me, i moved over straight away, we then came to a round about soon after, i am about a cars length behind and he then comes in my lane and out and in and out with no indication so i follow him to see what was going on and to get his num plate.

Beau, learn the expression 'let sleeping dogs lie'. It will save you a lot of trouble in future ;)

they obviously wasnt going anywhere because if they was they would have blue lights flashing and not slow down for the camera.

You don't know this and you don't know why they did what they did. They are there to enforce the law and you're not.

and chas, i did really want to indicate to move over cos the unos indicators dont work properly and i didnt want to get pulled for faulty lights or not indicating.

:doh:

Fer Christs sake Beau, now you're admitting driving an unroadworthy car and justifying breaking road regulations because of driving a car that breaches MOT requirements. It's exactly this kind of thing that the Police probably suspected you of doing hence bringing you to their attention. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back