police cameras

Currently reading:
police cameras

yeah but how many times have you been driving and come accross someone driving incredibly badly but sticking to the speed limit...

with the increase in speed cameras and the corresponding decrease in traffic cops who will ever point out to them that they are driving irresponsibly... we'll all have seen tailgating, drifting over two lanes around round-abouts (happened to me last nite).. under the current system it is very unlikely that they will ever be pulled over and the error of their ways pointed out...

another point to make is that the 70mph speed limit was set in the 50s when the best selling car at the time top speed was just about 70mph... therefore if you apply a similar point of view to today then what limit do you come up with?... i personally feel that 80mph is perfect for cruising on a motorway (weather taken into consideration)... we rely too much on what the speed limit is and very little on education and judgement.. just look at the nutters out there who will still do 70mph even when it is thick fog.. who are they listening too?... the big red circle with the 70 or the bit of their brain they should activate when they get behind the wheel of the car...

don't get me wrong, speed cameras have their place in society but only when used sensibly and ideally outside schools, hospitals.. and backed up by an efficient traffic police force...

as to statistics themselves many accident investigators themselves have reported that speed is very rarely the only contributing factor in any accident... but it is an easy peg to hang any accident on... much harder to prove bad driving etc...

education and drivers using a bit of common sense when they get behing the wheel are the key factors in reducing deaths on our roads, not speed alone...

there is always the story a few years ago of a honda nsx driver getting done in the middle of the night doing close to 150... arrested and charged with dangerous driving... case was given in his favour... (still got done for speeding)... why?.. because he proved he had the experience to judge the merits of the speed he was doing...

Originally posted by JonnyBoy
The REAL problem is that most speed limits are wrong. 70 on a motorway is dumb; that limit was set in the '50's I believe and cars have moved on since then!!

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin
<font color="orange">1994 Punto 55SX, metallic red, small, Italian and beautiful! </font id="orange">

in europe the limit is about 80/90 on a sunny day and 70 on a bad condition day

plus people use common sense, if you cant see 10m in front of you, dont go along at 70mph

needs to be something like this in england.

Now written off Cinquecento Sporting,
and yes it was indeed Broom Yellow :(

Dont worry, the poppy coral lives on for another car :p

Just a small point. I think it is far more dangerous spending your time watching your speedo to make sure you are doing 30 instead of 35.
IMO I'd rather look outside my car for hazards. The split second you look at your speedo a child could be under your wheels.

Les Ross
Certified by a Professional.
03 Stilo 5d JTD80 Active
PSI Powerbox and go-faster turtle.

thats very true.
My dads car is great because it has cruise control so u can just set your car to the right speed.
I think if the government are so bothered about people speeding, then they should make it law that all cars be fitted with cruise control, then there would be no excuse for speeding. but until then, its tough! Lester Piglet is right!

GoGoCinquecento, your burning up the quater mile!!

theoretically, i could gain 8 speeding tickings on my 8 mile round trip to uni and back.

Smurfhead - would trade as Gaz but bit confusing with another guy with the same car on here with the same name. lol

Seicento Sporting (2001)

Hmm, the speed limit thing and visibility is a good 'un, but why do people slow down to 65mph at even the slightest spot of rain... I can understand if vis is that bad, but this is altogether too common and unnecessart!

Tom (AofB)

Snapped exhaust flexipipe becoming GrpN ASAP!

what about fog lights even if it spits...

common sense would be that if you can see the lights of the car when its a fair distance away then the person behind you can do the same!... or are these people so paranoid that they think they get their own personal fog cloud!!... just like in the cartoons

Originally posted by arseofbox
Hmm, the speed limit thing and visibility is a good 'un, but why do people slow down to 65mph at even the slightest spot of rain... I can understand if vis is that bad, but this is altogether too common and unnecessart!

Tom (AofB)

Snapped exhaust flexipipe becoming GrpN ASAP!

Cos even when the road is only slightly damp your braking distances can be severely effected;)

Lovely Sprint Blue Stilo - And no money to mod it!

What braking?

cinqmeister.JPG

The braking necessary when some numpty cuts you up at silly speeds and it's either stop or die ;). There's also the issue of aquaplaning at high speeds but I don't know how much a reduction of 80 ish to 65 would change things, not much bother on the motorway, but a big issue on the country roads round here.

<font color="violet">
. o O Helz O o .

Proud owner of a silver Baby Brava with a Smiley air freshener​
</font id="violet">

Back