police bike cameras

Currently reading:
police bike cameras

sumplug

Established member
i see in auto express, unmarked police bikers in france have now got speed cameras attached to their helmets. it a big trial going on, and uk police are so pleased with it, its likely to go nationwide here:eek:
the chances of motorists telling others of a police presence is taken away.speedsters beware. i think its time for a snooper.:)

all this so called "camera safety" is getting out of hand.

we get a couple of police officers come into our shop quite oftern and buy paint and stuff from us. theyre always goin on about how silly it is and they say its not speeding, its bad driving that kills. they dont agree at all.

pisses me right off, safey camera my arse, i got a 200bhp UT and i wanna use it! :D

Dunc

Lots of police bikes already have speed cameras, although I guess very few unmarked ones are like that. Great idea.

Firstly, it is never an excuse to break a law because others do.

And no, as a rule I don't do 35 in a 30, 35 in a 30 is often more dangerous than a 100 on the motorway.

paulbfd said:
Surely if he / she sneezes then you could be caught doing 200mph as their head shakes???

They manage it on police cars which move so there will be a system which allows it to be accurate, in addition to that, it's unlikely a copper doing 30mph will pull you over for doing 3000mph since he sneezed ;)

The Negotiator said:
They manage it on police cars which move so there will be a system which allows it to be accurate, in addition to that, it's unlikely a copper doing 30mph will pull you over for doing 3000mph since he sneezed ;)

A few cases or Mach 1 have been taken to court already... it is possible.

Furthermore the accuracy of a helmet mounted speed camera will be questioned and questioned again.

If the Helmet is placed on the floor then alright (maybe) but to wear one and measure speed is laughable.

what about vibration? i wonder if the camera is mounted using some form of gyroscope so its always at the right angle and vibration free.:)

The Negotiator said:
They manage it on police cars which move so there will be a system which allows it to be accurate

Furthermore, those cameras in police cameras work by measuring the distance between two points and are usually manually operated while the car is stationary.

The vids you see on Police Camera Action etc. don't measure the offenders speed, but the police cars speed and then the police simply come to the conclusion that you were also doing that speed.

A friend of mine was seen by a Sationary police car from a bridge, no speed detection equipment set up, they didn't like the sound of his xhaust so they left the post and chased him, they caught him and said he was doing over 100mph and he wasn't going anywhere near.

Their response, "well we had to go that fast to catch you so you must have been"

On top of that if the Helmet cam reads low readings for the majority of the day and one head bob causes one miscallaneous reading its more likely the police will pull you over, impound your vehilce and have it stripped down to look for a Radar scambler of some sort and have it for several days.. then not even put your car back together properly.

paulbfd said:
A speed camera should be a fixed point, Police bikes already have onboard cameras like cars.

A helmet camera will be just as fixed as a dash board camera since both move. As sumplug has mentioned, possibly gyro technology, it's not like we haven't had steady cams for years ;)

Police bikes do have onboard cameras (with speed technology intrinsic to it) but as I mentioned previously, I doubt many unmarked bikes have such equipment.

I expect the company that designed the system probably considered the movement of the camera, considering it would be the major design specification of such a system.

And Trance, it is true, but that is an automated system (failure). I doubt a policeman would have made the same mistake in real time.

Trancendental said:
A friend of mine was seen by a Sationary police car from a bridge, no speed detection equipment set up, they didn't like the sound of his xhaust so they left the post and chased him, they caught him and said he was doing over 100mph and he wasn't going anywhere near.

Their response, "well we had to go that fast to catch you so you must have been"

On top of that if the Helmet cam reads low readings for the majority of the day and one head bob causes one miscallaneous reading its more likely the police will pull you over, impound your vehilce and have it stripped down to look for a Radar scambler of some sort and have it for several days.. then not even put your car back together properly.

I think you are underestimating the sorts of facilities traffic policemen have at their disposal. Of course one system is the follow the car for a minimum of 3/16 of a mile and match speed. If you ever watch "police camera action" you will see that the chase car's speed is usually very different to that of the persued car, since they can also use VASCARor similar.

The Negotiator said:
I think you are underestimating the sorts of facilities traffic policemen have at their disposal. Of course one system is the follow the car for a minimum of 3/16 of a mile and match speed. If you ever watch "police camera action" you will see that the chase car's speed is usually very different to that of the persued car, since they can also use VASCARor similar.
I used to notice two speeds when watching such Action packed TV. but quickley noticed that these must have all broke down in later episodes as only one speed was being displayed on the interface and this was usually of the police car as it continued to vary when there were no other vehicles in sight.

I'm going for an M.O.T now. Wish me luck :p

What I find annoying is the fact that some hypocritical police chief expressed his selfcentered opinion about speeding and arrogantly told then that he wants to know the people that they are not getting away with breaking the law.

But he certainly has failed to read in his briefings (if he can read at all) that 44,000 of 45,000 violations of the highway code were not even looked at.

The other day I saw a mobile speed camera in a police vehicle on Europes busiest road placed on the red route making itself a danger for traffic. This was not only illegal but even more so dumb struck stupid.

Speed limits are needed in real danger spots and should be enforced. But there is no need for a 70mph speed limit on motorways. It works in other countries and in Germany is no motorway speed limit other than in areas where it would be dangerous. The claims that in Germany are a high number of accidents are speed related is wrong in the way the interpretation is. Considering that Germany is a transit country for a lot of traffic the accident rate is consideratedly low thanks to the higher speed people are permitted to drive.

But unrealistic politicians and authorities like choose to think that we are all idiots. And anyway, strictly speaking all accidents are speed related. Lets stop driving altogether. Then we can't have any accident anymore. But no food either.

considering 70mph was brought in when cars could barely go any faster, its about time we had an 85mph limit. some stretches could have this limit increased. the highway code braking distances are based on a ford anglia. so, so antiquated. modern cars can stop proberly in half the distance. speeding is not a killer, its untrained and stupid idiots and unroadworthy vehicles that cause accidents.

Sadly there are too many idiots that would take "no limits" too far.

Only a minority of Germany's autobahns are delimited and statistics show, as you suggest, that a lot of accidents occur because of this. Of course I can't confirm or otherwise such results.

I feel that a limit of 80 is called for and can't understand the reasons for why it has been avoided.

international3.gif

source: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/roadsafety.html

That can be taken two ways, safespeed take it as "look, Germany is twice as dangerous/billion km but lots of Germany has no speed limits where as France does (they use example of Poland but since Poland isn't shown on that, either they are dumb or used different data). France is more dangerous therefore speed doesn't kill. Some would argue "kills/billion" is wrong and should be "accidents/billion" since kills are more likely on a higher speed road and it's not a fair comparison since both injuries and deaths are bad. Others would argue that UK has the lowest in that data due to the quality of the roads, the lower traffic than elsewhere and the speed limits" when compared with somewhere like the Czech Republic. etc. etc.

sumplug said:
considering 70mph was brought in when cars could barely go any faster, its about time we had an 85mph limit. some stretches could have this limit increased. the highway code braking distances are based on a ford anglia. so, so antiquated. modern cars can stop proberly in half the distance. speeding is not a killer, its untrained and stupid idiots and unroadworthy vehicles that cause accidents.

No, speed DOES kill when used inappropriately, 30mph outside a school might be inappropriate or 50mph towards a roundabout in the wet. However, your reasons above can also be killers. Unfortunately not everybody is a fully trained driver and hence why limits exist. If everybody had common sense, a brand new and well designed car, full ability within a car and nobody made mistakes, every road could be delimited. Sadly few people are able to make a judgement on what is safe.

Some would argue that a 85 limit would be silly since it is difficult to read on speedos and 90mph is too high since a lot of smaller cars have that as their maximum speed, therefore they might push their cars too high to keep up with the allowed speed.

Back