police bike cameras

Currently reading:
police bike cameras

The Negotiator said:
No, speed DOES kill when used inappropriately, 30mph outside a school might be inappropriate or 50mph towards a roundabout in the wet. However, your reasons above can also be killers. Unfortunately not everybody is a fully trained driver and hence why limits exist. If everybody had common sense, a brand new and well designed car, full ability within a car and nobody made mistakes, every road could be delimited. Sadly few people are able to make a judgement on what is safe.

Some would argue that a 85 limit would be silly since it is difficult to read on speedos and 90mph is too high since a lot of smaller cars have that as their maximum speed, therefore they might push their cars too high to keep up with the allowed speed.
because you have a higher speed limit,this does not warrant you going any faster. thats up to you.
nobody in this country is properly trained unless you pay for it after your test pass. i think this is silly. and how many of us have seen lorries with illegal tyres? in the wet, a lorry becomes even more lethal without proper treaded tyres. the speed limit should be cut when wet, like france does.
in italy, cars are speed restricted according to engine size. a very good idea.
a lot of the freight could be removed from motorways if the govt implemented a link of trainlines that was proposed several yrs ago. this would link ports, cargo bases, and airports.:)

I have my overspeed indicator set to 80 and it very infrequently comes on and beeps.
70 seems a high enough speed. There's that many dumbasses out there that I really don't want them to be allowed to go any faster.

People can't stick to within 10 mph of 70 so if you raise the speed limit to 80 there needs to be a decreased tolerance to speeding. 80 is more than fast enough so if someone is caught at 100 why not remove their license.
That'd teach em.

sumplug said:
i see in auto express, unmarked police bikers in france have now got speed cameras attached to their helmets. it a big trial going on, and uk police are so pleased with it, its likely to go nationwide here:eek:
the chances of motorists telling others of a police presence is taken away.speedsters beware. i think its time for a snooper.:)

Some times we're our own worst enemies. I ride a powerful bike and have a reasonably powerful car. If i want to enjoy the need for speed and the buzz that goes with it i choose the time and place carefully. You just don't find any speed cameras of any type on the quiet country "B" roads or unclassified roads that i tend use. Early summer mornings and late evenings these roads are practically deserted. Speed enforcement tends to take place where doylems charge about on already busy motorways, dual carriage ways and "A" roads through built up areas or "Blackspots". Why would you want to strangle the throttle here ?

The Negotiator said:
Lots of police bikes already have speed cameras, although I guess very few unmarked ones are like that. Great idea.

You may find that its likely it will be anpr not speed camera more often than not now

Are these helmet mounted cameras going to be laser type? If so are they as suseptable (sp?) to the sort of mis-readings that have made tripod mounted speeding convictions questionable? Just brushing the beam along the side of the car can give a large mph reading. You can't expect a police biker to keep his beam perfectly straight on the front/back of a car. Crazy idea IMHO.

Motorways are proven to be our safest roads. How many times have you been in traffic doing 70mph? Its always flowing at 80+ (or stationary at road works ;)). I've been cruising at 80/90 in a line of cars only for a police car to cruise past us. no lights. everyone was driving sensible so mr traffic officer was happy.

Back