Police and exhausts

Currently reading:
Police and exhausts

SeicentoS

Established member
Good day!, I had a run in with the police last night over the noise coming from my car, I bought the car already fitted with a Blitz Nur spec exhaust, now to me, your average Nova or Corsa is 10times louder than my car!

the police man said he is going to ring the place where the seller got the car MOT'd and tell them they are passing illegal cars, and also ring the importer about importing illegal cars :O

If he does follow all that through what is likely to happen? he gave me a seven day slip but theres no date or anything on it and I have to produce the MOT cert (which I've lost!) and my insurance cover note, is there a chance they can take the car off me or what? as he didn't have a sound meter or whatever to measure the noise

any advice appreciated!

Seems like his bull****in then if u lost ur MOT explain this to them im sure they will understand.

He gave you a PRODUCER with no information on it?

I have heard they are starting to crack down on loud exhausts, I think the noise limit is 101db at half usable revs from 5m away but I would have to check. Maplins sell db meters for about £20.

You would have to apply to the garage that did the mot for a copy. But I think th officer didnt do his job properly IMHO as you should have had the date on your slip so you may have a get out clause?

PS cant wait for the noise cameras they have in oz (I kid you not):eek:

SeicentoS said:
Good day!, I had a run in with the police last night over the noise coming from my car, I bought the car already fitted with a Blitz Nur spec exhaust, now to me, your average Nova or Corsa is 10times louder than my car!

the police man said he is going to ring the place where the seller got the car MOT'd and tell them they are passing illegal cars, and also ring the importer about importing illegal cars :O

If he does follow all that through what is likely to happen? he gave me a seven day slip but theres no date or anything on it and I have to produce the MOT cert (which I've lost!) and my insurance cover note, is there a chance they can take the car off me or what? as he didn't have a sound meter or whatever to measure the noise

any advice appreciated!
youve been horty'd
u will have to go to your local police station with your docs

as for the sound thing, they have to prove that the noise is excessive and the worst you will get is a breach of the peace. the only way your exhaust would be an mot failure is on emmisions, i really wouldnt worry bout it,
if they contact the garage then its thier fault id they passed it so you will get a free retest.

tbh it sounds like a bit of scare mongering, but do make sure u produce ur docs to be onthe safe side

I thought the UK law for cars is something vague like "excessively loud for the vehicle"... Motorbikes are limited to something like 100dB

SeicentoS said:
MOT cert (which I've lost!)

If its been done this year after the change over in MOT rules, you can go to ur local DVLA and they'll print a new MOT sheet off for you, they just ask for your car reg and your basic ID, i have two MOT certs now :rolleyes:

ah nice one thanks, I'm searching for my MOT cert now lol, HORT 1 or something is the form I got, says I have 7 days to produce but theres no date on the form so I'm not sure if I have 7 days from today or 7 days from yesterday lol! it only makes a big amount of noise when its floored.

well just tried the Vosa website thingy and it can't find an MOT cert for my car even though it was MOT'd at the end of may, bloody stupid cars lol :(

SkinzCinqSporting said:
Five-0's going to love you Dunc, at least your tub will be able to ourun them :p

I reckon I could have got away from him last night, but everytime I get the opportunity I just think "why bother?" I'd rather just pull over and take the punishment for some strange reason lol =/

^You know that theres police officers on this website?

"Anything you may say may be held aganist you in the court of law"

Remember that before you incrimate yourself.

as far as I'm aware THERE IS NO SET LIMIT ON EXHAUST NOISE.
BUT it can be deemed to be excessive.

I asked two different MOT places in sunderland about what they'd think of the turbo volvo, both said there wasn't any actual limit, just emissions, and even that was hazy on a G reg car.

So I fitted an exhaust that mimicked the shape of the old one, made from stainless piping from ebay (3") and 3" stainless mandrel bends (the ones that are bent properly), with NO silencers, just engine, turbo, big ass exhaust.
Took it to mot who failed it on a dipped front light not working (it was working when it went in, but randomly kept working and not:mad: ) and the rear number plate wasn't illuminated (forgot to replace bulb:eek: ), got it retested (if it fails its free!!) and passed,

these new MOT certs don't have anything on them! didn't have its emmision readout or anything:confused:

It wasn't that loud either, I think the turbo just churns up all the noise, so you just get a noisy idle, and when you've got your foot in it, all you can here is the turbo struggling away @ 17psi making a glorious scouring noise:devil:
guess how much I got for the car?

£280 with 10months MOT, and no tax (poor student can't afford near £200 per year tax):(

SeicentoS said:
I reckon I could have got away from him last night, but everytime I get the opportunity I just think "why bother?" I'd rather just pull over and take the punishment for some strange reason lol =/

I think you like it in a Sado-Masochistic way maybe?

SkinzCinqSporting said:
I think you like it in a Sado-Masochistic way maybe?

its just not worth the hassle, Its my fault if I do something wrong on the road, why endanger other ppl with a police chase? its just not worth it

SeicentoS said:
its just not worth the hassle, Its my fault if I do something wrong on the road, why endanger other ppl with a police chase? its just not worth it

True, I had 2 options when I was pulled, gun it, or stop. I stopped, they had another call to attend, I got lucky :eek:

SeicentoS said:

any advice appreciated!

If it's Japanese import without European type approval doesn't it have a SVA test. Part of the SVA test is an exhaust sound level measurement at idle, they use a portable unit a set distance from the car. Don't think MOT garages have sound meaurement tools, so it would be subjective and if the tester is slightly deaf then it would be hard for him to tell.

Back