PLESE SOMEONE HELP!!! (aftermarket HEADUNIT problems)

Currently reading:
PLESE SOMEONE HELP!!! (aftermarket HEADUNIT problems)

caletenio

hey i just purchased a new headunit, its one of those in dash dvd players with the screen etc,
anyways i got it and bought this cable harness so that i could connect all the wires properly for the headunit, i finally did after some time and everything was working fine, headunit worked perfectly.
After i finished using the car i turned of the headunit but a small red sort of stanby light stayed on, and i thought it wd turn off after i switched off the ignition or after some time, but it didnt.
i turned of the ignition and waited around 20 mins but the light remained on (seems to be like a stanby light)
i thought to myself, this must be the way the headunit was desinged so i contacted the manufacture of the headunit and asked them and they told me their was nothing wrong with the headunit but that the red small stanby light should be switched off when the ignition is turned off, they told me to check the cables and i did so many times ad everythiung is properly connected i guess

PLEASEEEEE SOMEONE HELPPPP

i got a fiat punto 2004 5 DR

my headunit is conected normnally, both red and yellow wires conected together and ground (black)conected to ground etc

PLEASE can someone help

kind regards
NIGEL

Ill try to help, But i not sure how the newer punto's radio's are wired up.

With fiats (im talking up to the mk1 puntos 1999) the feed to the radio's is constant. I needed to put a switched live into mine so the radio was completely off when the key was removed. If i had left it as it was then the radio would have been in "standby" mode. Which sounds silmilar to what you are having trouble with.

When you rang the manufactuor of the radio, prehaps they mistook what you meant and presummed that the feed to the radio was a switched live.

2004 punto only got 1 power feed

you either got to connect red to yellow or yellow to red (cant remember)- easily tell by looking at the connections - 1 wire will be going to nothing

other than that I am out of ideas

if yellow and red are connected together on the harness then you do have your switched live connected to the permanent live, so the stereo has no way of knowing when you switch the ignition off.

on a 2004 punto there is no switched live, my girlfriend's punto has that problem, but it doesnt matter, the headunit uses no power when the front is removed so it wont discharge the battery.

i'm sure your headunit will not discharge your battery on standby mode. the only real problem is if you forget to switch the headunit off, but that will never happen if you always remove the front of the headunit and take it with you. if you dont have a removable front then good luck.

my headunit has no removable front

btw i have the red and yellow wires coming form the radio connected together and those 2 connected to the red and yellow wire that comes form the car

is that correct?

MANY MANY THANKS FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE REPLIED TO MY POST, MAYBE I HAVE SOME HOPE NOW :(

kind regards
nigel

Ill try to help, But i not sure how the newer punto's radio's are wired up.

With fiats (im talking up to the mk1 puntos 1999) the feed to the radio's is constant. I needed to put a switched live into mine so the radio was completely off when the key was removed. If i had left it as it was then the radio would have been in "standby" mode. Which sounds silmilar to what you are having trouble with.

When you rang the manufactuor of the radio, prehaps they mistook what you meant and presummed that the feed to the radio was a switched live.
i dont know what u mean by a "switched liver"??
can u please explain
thnx:)

The user Jug posted above that the 2004 punto dosent have a switched live, if you need one then you will proberly have to rewire it into your ignition so it made connection. But you would prob loose all settings when this happened.

On mine, 1998 punto you have one wire which has constant feed 12v then a switched, when the ignition is switched on it sends a signal down the wire and makes a circuit resulting in powering the unit.

Ps. Without seeing a mk2/3 wiring diagram for a punto im unsure of the next step.. :S

The user Jug posted above that the 2004 punto dosent have a switched live, if you need one then you will proberly have to rewire it into your ignition so it made connection. But you would prob loose all settings when this happened.

On mine, 1998 punto you have one wire which has constant feed 12v then a switched, when the ignition is switched on it sends a signal down the wire and makes a circuit resulting in powering the unit.

Ps. Without seeing a mk2/3 wiring diagram for a punto im unsure of the next step.. :S
im really sorry but im very lost here, i dont really understand
DOES ANYONE have a solution to my problem????
PLEASE HELP :(:(:(:(

Right you say that the wires on the headunit have a Red and a yellow, one of these will be permanatly running off the battery to keep all of the settings on the headunit. That is why when you turn on the unit it continues to play from where you switched it off last.
You need to locate the ignition wire which i dont know where it is but im sure that somebody will and plug a wire from there into the yellow one.
This is not comprehensive but im sure that somebody will be able to shed the light a little more.

Right you say that the wires on the headunit have a Red and a yellow, one of these will be permanatly running off the battery to keep all of the settings on the headunit. That is why when you turn on the unit it continues to play from where you switched it off last.
You need to locate the ignition wire which i dont know where it is but im sure that somebody will and plug a wire from there into the yellow one.
This is not comprehensive but im sure that somebody will be able to shed the light a little more.
THAts ther problem i dont think fiats have ignition wires so that you can connect tot he headunit thats why when i turn off the car i can use the headunit and even when i turen off the headunit the headunit's standby light remains on and drains my battery
HOW can i find or pull an ignition wire for the headunit???im completely lost with this
ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS?????
PLZZZ HELP!!!!!

THNX:(:(

could you please clarify that for me, im still lost, :(:(:(
please explain clearly to me,
i really appreciate your help
thnx

kind regards

i'm sure your headunit will not discharge your battery on standby mode. the only real problem is if you forget to switch the headunit off, but that will never happen if you always remove the front of the headunit and take it with you. if you dont have a removable front then good luck.

It did in my cinq.

I'm guessing its the same problem as the cinq, as there is always a permenant feed. I took a feed off the electric windows and it did the job. If you have a haynes, have a look at the wiring to find out what turns off from ignition or did in-situ by seeing what works and doesn't work when ignition is off.
Think someone mentioned the 'orange' wire. I believe that turns off from the ignition, but someone correct me if I'm wrong but would that be kinda in the steering coloumn, harder to access.

Trying doing a search on, 'ignition' 'stereo' and also looking at cinq guides about it. I might be wrong and its not like the cinq, best to look at a haynes wiring diagram on what feed is given the stereo.

link
that was my thread about it, I don't know if it will be any help to you.

Last edited:
remove the plastic surround from the steering column (4 allen key screws underneath. There is a plug that goes to the key barrel for the ignition. Splice into the orange wire so that the orange wire is still connected as before but you have a new wire coming from it. feed this through the dash up to the headunit. Make sure you put a fuse somewhere in this new wire so as to protect the headunit.

ok many thanks, but where do i connect that orange wire to???does that go to the yellow and red cables of the headunit like if it was an ACC cable???
and how do i put a fuse into the cable, what fuse?

BTW the yellow cable coming from the headunit surprisingly brought a fuse installed, does that mean i dont have to put one on the new cable that u told me to put form the ignition (orange)

any other solutions????
please help
many thnks to all

ok many thanks, but where do i connect that orange wire to???does that go to the yellow and red cables of the headunit like if it was an ACC cable???
and how do i put a fuse into the cable, what fuse?

BTW the yellow cable coming from the headunit surprisingly brought a fuse installed, does that mean i dont have to put one on the new cable that u told me to put form the ignition (orange)

connect the orange at the ignition switch to the yellow on the headunit using a new wire between them, you dont need a fuse if the yellow wire has a fuse, but i would still fit a new 30a fuse close to the orange wire (you can buy an in line fuse holder at any car or stereo or electronics shop). the red on the headunit connects to the red on the car.

Back