Technical Please, Please help!

Currently reading:
Technical Please, Please help!

lewma

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Have posted several topics on here about speedo cable fitting, but yet to hear anything.

Basically, need to know if can be done before visiting the local garage. The gearing not the cable has broke. This means that i need to get the old one out before putting the new one in and to work again.

Any help, please?

Plus - having trouble with putting the car into gear. No problem sometimes but here and there it has difficulty going in so have to try other gears before finally going in. Pain in the arse when at traffic lights and won't go into gear!!

Cheer

Matt (y)

i have no idea about the the speedo question

but the difficulty into gears could be a slack clutch cable, just have a go at tightening it - that would be my first thing that i would check

:D Looked at the clutch cable. Brand new one. there should be some movement in the cable (12mm??) before the arm pulls the cable to change gear (if right???) but it hasn't. Made mistake last time of adjusting it and snapped on me eventually! Last time went to halfords and looked in haynes, was there for nearly half hour!! Looked bit suspicious :D (y) :D

Can't remember mate. It'll be on clutch cables. (big area i know sorry!!)

Popping to 'wxm lagers' later to get passenger seat in place of drivers seat as only one available. What reckon - stupid?

Plus thinking of spraying the seat braces either back to black as rusty, or red (colour of car)

What reckon?

Does anyone else agree with him? Speedo went months ago, Noticed that clutch changes nearer to the floor - normally means new one needed?!?!? Please say yes!! NOT NEW GEAR BAG!!

Worse senario - How much for either??#

Cheers

Matt :bang: :bang:

Clutch wearing out usually means that it bites higher from the floor. There is a condition in these gearbags that the release bearing shaft seizes up, stretching the cable, resulting in the clutch pedal having to be closer to the floor.

However, you describe your selection problems as intermittant which would suggest to me that a bearing in the box has, at best, started to give up.

I would have thought the remedy was a second hand box and before fitting check the shaft moves freely and lubricate it to keep it moving freely, and you might as well put, at least, a driven plate in while you are in there.

Cheers

D

Back