Technical Please: Need help/advice to remove oil filter housing

Currently reading:
Technical Please: Need help/advice to remove oil filter housing

deonholt

Hi there and thanks for your help.

Bravo II 2008 1.4 T-Jet

This will be the first service since I bought the car. The previous owner sort of stripped the knob where the socket fits onto to remove the oil filter housing.

I will really appreciate it if someone here can help me with advice on how to remove this housing. I have bought a new housing. Space is very bad to get a hand in there.

Thank you.

I'd suggest using an "oil filter strap wrench" (try this as a search term to see the various styles available).

Depending on direction of access available, one of the following might suit.

(Draper are just one supplier, others such as Laser, MachineMart, Sealey etc. probably offer similar tools.)

You might even be able to borrow something suitable rather than purchase as these tools are relatively common among DIY'ers.
There might even be something suitable to be found in a kitchen e.g. rubber grips or clamps for removing tight jar lids?
Or you could try wrapping a strong leather belt around the housing and use a large screwdriver or bar through the belt buckle to apply force to turn the housing.

Hth,

I'd suggest using an "oil filter strap wrench" (try this as a search term to see the various styles available).

Depending on direction of access available, one of the following might suit.

(Draper are just one supplier, others such as Laser, MachineMart, Sealey etc. probably offer similar tools.)

You might even be able to borrow something suitable rather than purchase as these tools are relatively common among DIY'ers.
There might even be something suitable to be found in a kitchen e.g. rubber grips or clamps for removing tight jar lids?
Or you could try wrapping a strong leather belt around the housing and use a large screwdriver or bar through the belt buckle to apply force to turn the housing.

Hth,
Hi.

Thanks very much. I have a strap but space is the problem. I was hoping someone could help with another way.
Thanks again.

I am not familiar with this model. What is the oil filter "housing"? Does your car have a paper filter that goes inside a metal housing like on older cars (usually much older cars) or does it use a more common "screw on", oil filter that screws onto the "housing"? There are some useful videos on YouTube that have some good tips for how to remove damaged bolts and nuts etc'. If you can post a pic' (maybe just of the new housing) maybe I can make a suggestion.

If it is the same as 2007 it uses filter insert covered with plastic cap. If you plan to change it anyway I'd ram screwdriver inside from top to bottom just to release it and then handy handy...

If it is the same as 2007 it uses filter insert covered with plastic cap. If you plan to change it anyway I'd ram screwdriver inside from top to bottom just to release it and then handy handy...
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply. I think that it what I am going to do. Going to order the plastic housing/cover this week.
Happy 2022.

These are the best for removing just about any oil filter:

oil-tool.jpg

Back