General Please help :( Engine overheating...

Currently reading:
General Please help :( Engine overheating...

i would call it a punto water rail pipe
that should help guide you
remember you will need a new o ring that connects this pipe into the engine block too
smear a little washing up liquid on the new one to help slide it in

yes that is the pipe from the water pump to all the relivant tubes

perfect time for a coolant chnge if you havent got history of it
ziggy

Thanks :) yep i think its defo a good thing that the coolant needs to be changed, as there is no history of it!

What coolant should i use? the last one was a redish color..

Thanks again

the pipe is a doddle to replace, just get to your nearest parts shop and get a new exhaust manifold gasket as the easiest way to replace the water pipe is to remove the exhaust manifold!

the pipe is a doddle to replace, just get to your nearest parts shop and get a new exhaust manifold gasket as the easiest way to replace the water pipe is to remove the exhaust manifold!

Thanks for the advice, but why the exhaust manidfold, i thought the water pipe came out by taking off the jubilee clips and o ring and just putting the new one in and fitting new clips and ring.. is this not the case?

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, but why the exhaust manidfold, i thought the water pipe came out by taking off the jubilee clips and o ring and just putting the new one in and fitting new clips and ring.. is this not the case?

Thanks

as stated the manifold will give you more space if removed, the bolt on the bottom of the water rail bracket is 10mm, if it is a bit loose on the socket, drop down to 9mm and use a persuader stick (hammer) to chap it on, the water rail will come off as either 1 or 2 pieces, mine came off as 2 (seal remained in place) so to remove the seal i used a screwdriver and hammered it down onto the seal from above (to crush the metal ring on the original seal) then i was able to remove it alot easier,

as stated above use washing up liquid, whereas i used red grease, which i had used when i had my stilo

hope this helps

Last edited:
I've had a similar problem, after doing long journeys in mine the engine warning light comes on and when I stop the car it sounds like a hair dryer (once the engine is turned off!) - think it may be something to do with the cooling fan but not a clue :-(

I've had a similar problem, after doing long journeys in mine the engine warning light comes on and when I stop the car it sounds like a hair dryer (once the engine is turned off!) - think it may be something to do with the cooling fan but not a clue :-(

radiator fans do their bearings in
theres 2 types so if you confirm motor bearings faulty unless you have the cowlings where the motor can unbolt from it you need to get the right one or it doesnt bolt to your radiator
see clear as mud
why your light come on
more details required

I think yours is a Mk1 -- in which case the fan coming on after you've turned the engine off is completely normal and it'll sound loud because it's the only thing on. The overheat light, howver, is not normal.

Can you confirm year, mileage, rectangular or round ait filter box?

just to update you, changed the coolant pipe around 2 weeks ago... everything is ok now!! only thing that bothers me is the fact that after long trips when turning the engine off the fan sometimes stays on for a about 30 seconds or so... is this normal??

Thanks

just to update you, changed the coolant pipe around 2 weeks ago... everything is ok now!! only thing that bothers me is the fact that after long trips when turning the engine off the fan sometimes stays on for a about 30 seconds or so... is this normal??

Thanks

I refer you to my previous post in which I had the sheer afrontery to write:

I think yours is a Mk1 -- in which case the fan coming on after you've turned the engine off is completely normal and it'll sound loud because it's the only thing on. The overheat light, howver, is not normal.

Can you confirm year, mileage, rectangular or round ait filter box?

If it's a Mk2 and the fan stays on, something very strange is happening.

Back