Technical Please Give me a Clue :(

Currently reading:
Technical Please Give me a Clue :(

Bravicssimo

Now I am really puzzled! This Morning I thought I solved all my problems by touching a couple of wires. Here are the problems I had
1) The Temperature Gauge quickly goes to the red and stays there
2) The Rev counter Acts weird when I put the ignition on (MAR) it will start jumping up and down
3) Sometimes the fuel pump gives false readings
4) The Alternator’s output measurement across the battery was Very low or non-existent.
5) The Engine Starts to misfire violently when the engine warms up.( this is the most serious of my problems as it makes the car impossible to drive

All those problems disappeared after I touched few wires..(Mainly the Crankshaft sensor and another sensor attached to the crank body (photo)near to it (I have no Idea what it is and my Haynes says nothing about it but I am suspecting it could be the oil pressure sensor..)
What I did was unplug the sensor attached to the crank while the battery was disconnected and then I reconnected again and started the Engine.

To my surprise and for the first time the car behaved perfectly the engine was smooth, the temperature was glued to the middle of the gauge and the and all gauges and warning lights were all perfect, I drove it for a 3 hours on a trip to see a friend and all was well.
Then when I came home I decided to reconnect the wire again just to see if it was defintely the cause of all the problems and to my surprise the car still behaved impeccably for another short test drive.
But when I restarted the Car this evening … the old problem came back!! So I again disconnected the wire Again hopping that all will be well again and to my surprise that didn’t make a difference… the car was again in a bad state:(

Now my question is … what could I have done that could have effected the alternator, Engine misfiring, temperature gauge …and the rest of the problems???
Could it be that when I disconnected the battery the ECU reset itself to a good setting ??? but how could the ECU control the output of the Alternator ? Or could it???:bang:

Attachments

• S3700050.JPG
    S3700050.JPG
    343 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
i'd say its time you got a diagnostic done, usually costs about £30 but at least you'll know what the problem is, you seem to have one of those electrical faults that can take years to find by messing around with wires, and you may break something else while you're tinkering. if it worked fine for a 3 hour drive you can be confident that nothing mechanical is broken or faulty, its most likely a dodgy sensor, loose wire, bad earth, etc...

as for the alternator issue, if your battery still starts the car you can assume the alternator is charging it ok, because it would be flat by now if it wasn't getting any charge at all. how did you test the alternator exactly?

sorry didnt realise this was a continuation of the other post, from that post i assume you're using the old bulb method instead of a multimeter, that doesn't help, but if you have been suffering a quickly dying battery and you are sure the battery is good, then its possible the alternator is at fault, but it could just as easily be a dodgy connection on a wire either at the alternator, or earth on chassis, or battery connections, the number of times i've seen people change their alternator when all they had was a rusty connection on the earth strap makes me laugh, but its hard to say without a multimeter reading. its important to get an accurate reading of the alternator output in volts, the resistance from the battery negative terminal to the alternator negative post in ohms, and the normal drain from battery in amps. its cheaper to do a correct diagnosis the first time rather than buying bits willy nilly hoping to get lucky, a multimeter is about 7.99 in wilkinsons, well worth it

ecu has nothing to do with alternator, so resetting the ecu could not affect alternator performance, so disconnecting your battery should have no affect if the alternator is at fault,

jug said:
ecu has nothing to do with alternator, so resetting the ecu could not affect alternator performance, so disconnecting your battery should have no affect if the alternator is at fault,

Hey Jug :)

Problem solved :) :) ... At last... You were absolutely right the alternator was fine and you mentioned an earthing problem and again you were spot on !!

This afternoon I decided too look for those earth spots and Bingo !! I found the earth strap that connects the clutch/transmission housing to the car's body and to my surprise it was sitting under the ctutch slave cylinder which incidently was leaking so it was extremely corroded, so I removed it, cleaned it and placed it away from that spot.

when I restarted the car I could tell everything was good, the starter motor was fast, the car sounded better and all the gauges/warning lights were functioning perfectly.

I took it for a drive and there was no problems at all :)
I think I will now have to change that clutch slave cylinder and put in a new earth strap .. maybe even 2 .. just to make sure :)

I am now so relieved thanks mate for all your support(y)

Last edited:
Hey,

thank,

Replaced my engine a couple of months ago and been having the same problems as you. Checked the connection and its perfect! Well done chaps.. I've been searching for the problem for 3 months nearly and it was exactly the same connection as yours!

Woo hoo.

IrishBravo said:
Hey,

thank,

Replaced my engine a couple of months ago and been having the same problems as you. Checked the connection and its perfect! Well done chaps.. I've been searching for the problem for 3 months nearly and it was exactly the same connection as yours!

Woo hoo.

I'm glad you solved your problem too:)
This is why I like Forums.. you can't beat the benefits of sharing Ideas and solutions...its a great help :)

Can someone please post a picture of where this connection is? It would be great.
Thankyou.

Back