Technical Play in left front wheel + knocking sound

Currently reading:
Technical Play in left front wheel + knocking sound

Joseph Buttigieg

The left front wheel on my Marea has some play North South. The garage checked for play and concluded that the wheel bearing nut needs to be tightened up a bit, I tried this but it couldn't be tightened any further (by the way I haven't managed to achieve the 70Nm + 62 degrees stated by the manufacturer but only 70 Nm plus about 40 degrees, it just couldn't go any further).

The play is still there. Now I recall that about 8 months ago, there was a grinding noise coming from this wheel which disappeared soone afterwards. The garage didn't hear anything and declared everything fine. This noise didn't show up again afterwards.

Can it be a worn wheel bearing? Rotating the wheel freely doesn't reveal any noises, however I have the impression I do hear a humming noise coming from the area lately.

One other thing, I hear clicking noises/knock coming form both front ends when drving on a rough road. Two garages checked the suspension and couldn't find anything loose. Any ideas???:confused::confused:

The click/knock are propably the droplinks to anti-rollbar, and if the knock is still there after they've been changed, the anti-rollbar rubber bushes to the subframe are worn.

If the wheelbearing were gone and be the reason for the play, it would have play in all directions, and propably make noise when driving/heat up, like it seems to be doing.
Get a friend to shake the wheel so you can see the suspension from behind, is the lower balljoint loose or does the wheel move relative to the mounts. I imagine the brake disks/pads could look bad if the bearing is bad.

Hi,

The droplinks have been changed. Balljoints appear to be still good. Wishbone bushes also recently changed. Brake pads look ok too. Is there an effective and simple way to check the anti-roll bar bushes considering that a visual check does not always tell everything?

Last edited:
I just grabbed mine (one droplink detached) and used the required amount of violence. I could hear it knocking and feel it moving sideways.

Thanks mate, I will try that first.

And by the way, thanks for answering to all my queries

The anti-roll bar is checked and found OK.

Now I found that when I go round a corner (turning right) on a high gear at slow speed and suddenly give gas, the car judders and at the same time there's a pulsating knock coming from the left front wheel area. At first I used to think it was the clutch, but it's not. It feels like the drive-shaft engages intemittently. This doesn't happen when driving in a straight line or turning left.

I then drove to an open parking space and turned the car clockwise in a full circle at full lock at low speed and low gear. There is an intermittent squeak coming from the left wheel but no clicking noise or knocks. Upon turning full circle anti-clockwise no strange sounds heard.

Is this a sign of a worn wheel bearing or cv joint??

Are there any more test I can do the conform?

I need advice!!

Last edited:
Back