Technical Pininfarina gearbox removal

Currently reading:
Technical Pininfarina gearbox removal

Maynard

I knew there had to be a place where like-minded crazies lurk, and I was drawn here by some force!

Trying to drop the 'box on my '84 to have the 4th gear synchro replaced (it was like that when I bought it). Having a deuce of a time with those top two 'box bolts. I can almost see them, ha ha. Anybody have a good tip on that?

I'd like to have the flywheel lightened a bit while I have it available. Any comments on that as to how much to remove? Anybody done it? Car is strictly for the street, I just want a little imrpovement in the launch.

Thanks.

Just did the swap last week. A universal joint at the socket and a super long extension did the trick. The hardest bolt to remove was the upper-most starter motor bolt.

Good luck.

Kimu,

Exactly what I wound up doing, before I read your reply. I used this project as an excuse to buy the same tools you mentioned.

Ditto on the starter bolt. I convinced myself that I'd have better access to it after lowering the gearbox part way, but as you know, that's not going to happen with the starter still attached. I'd like to have a talk with the sadist who put that bolt in that little hidden place.

Back