*Phew* That was close!!

Currently reading:
*Phew* That was close!!

SeanW

Don't follow me, I'm lost
Very nearly got into an accident earlier!!

Dropped a friend off home after cadets, just coming up to a set of lights, they started to change - soo...I applied my brakes - fairly firmly, nothing recklessly stupid (like 80mph in a 30 zone, slam brakes on - more like 28-30 in a 30 and steady and firm pressure) when my wheels just locked and slid straight over the line. LUCKILY it was quiet and even more lucky for me, the junction is pretty big, so although I was well over the line - I wasn't in the flow of traffic.

Yes, it is a little wet, and no, I didn't leave it to a stupidly short distance (I had allowed [or so I thought] enough extra distance to stop in). I even did a "proper" emergency stop nearer home (very quiet road, used on test routes for exactly that) and applied much firmer pressure on the brakes - noo problem, perfectly controlled stop, no skidding that time.

Only been driving "properly" a month (today in fact).

In one way, I'm glad I went through it without panicking (still very calm - not quite shrugging it off, but not "OMG - I COULDA DIED!!").

What have I learnt through this?

Well, first of all - no matter what - stay calm.. I know it sounds easier said than done - but I don't think it is - the training really does kick in!! (That may be helped by my cadet background a bit - used to the whole training thingy). Second of all, and perhaps more importantly - if you think it's enough room - it isn't!! Give it a bit more!!

In hindsight, it would probably have been safer overall to keep going and go through "borderline".

Ahwell. Just thought I'd share.

Sean

i was following a learner through leeds earlier... and completely backed of when we got to a roundabout.. all was clear so off they went (no one else was on it)... and they slammed on as they went to pull on.. in which i had my foot on the accelrator to go... i know my abs works now after nearly crapping myself :p

I think the Highway Code would say that if the act of stopping for a light will cause an accident then you are permitted to cross a junction on an amber light.

I think the Highway Code would say that if the act of stopping for a light will cause an accident then you are permitted to cross a junction on an amber light.
Aye, my biggest concern is that the road crossing in front of me is long, straight and only a spit and throw from the dual carriageway - and there have been a few boy-racers up that way.

As for controlling a skid - think I'm going to be contacting Lincolnshire Police soon - see when they're running the courses for under 25's on the skid pan again!! I was going to do it earlier in the year, but didn't have a car, and ended up doing seasonal work (so time off not really given that easily lol)

I recall a similarly hairy moment on the FF rally of 2004 - coming round a blind bend in the pouring rain behind Stu to find him slamming the anchors on because of a red traffic light we didn't know was there......as I slid gracefully towards his new car he'd had about a week :eek: Stopped in plenty of time though :D

Yep done pretty much the same thing. Coming down hill to a set of lights that changed in a car without ABS. Road was damp but not soaking, what I didn't know was that some car had come out of the nearby petrol station and covered the road is diesel!

Managed to keep it in a straight line and ran into the cycles only bit - very glad there were no cyclists about.

pump that brake :cool:

pretty hairy when it first happens, but you soon get the feel of it and soon start to feel when brakes are close to locking up. ABS is for wimps lol.

but you stop quicker with ABS :devil:

bald_faced_hornet_nest_1.jpg

:devil:

can%20of%20worms.jpg

it depends how intrusive the ABS system is ;)

i quite like not having it on the Marea as it really does allow being on the very edge of the limits of the car.

on the other hand, i have had the one very scary moment where i did similar to the OP and left black lines for quite a distance before i let off the pedal to get traction again :eek:

i brake in gear now and it really allows you to get on the brakes hard without locking them.

Ry

We have all done it. I did it the first day I got the punto, went to slow down for a roundabout and didnt quite stop in time and was a good couple of foot over the line luckily there were no big lorries about. I didnt realise that my brakes werent as good as the one's I had in the Panda :eek:

Panda 3 years, Punto 5 minutes :rolleyes:

bald_faced_hornet_nest_1.jpg

:devil:

can%20of%20worms.jpg

my guilty secret is i'd love a car with ABS :eek: allows you to be lazy, and not have so much drama when conditions are slippy. but then it's only been at low speeds i've locked the sedici up, opposed to at 60 odd in my old one on steelies! :devil: though that wasn't as worrying as when it first happened and at less than 20mph locked up on a smooth slippy road heading for a parked car, you actually seem to accelerate when you lock up. every instinct tells you not to but you pull off and reapply and find you are able to stop, or even turn.:worship:

braking in gear i find really helps as i find it's much less likely to lock up, as Ryan says.

Back