Peugeot 2008, no heating fan

Currently reading:
Peugeot 2008, no heating fan

Stanski

Hi Everyone,
In researching advice for this problem I discovered limited information, also confusing advice, as the problem arises in more than one vehicle model. Fiat and Peugeot use similar equipment and technology.

As thanks to others on this forum who gave me some knowledge from their experiences I have registered as a member to thank them and hopefully others who will no doubt find a similar problem.

This knowledge is specific to a UK 2015 registered 2008 1.6HDi car owned by my niece that I have investigated to resolve the problem. Equivalent models in the Fiat range will have similar headaches.

THIS IS A LONG READ but fully descriptive
NO PHOTOS - yet but a full description.

Symptoms - No internal heating fan.
Temp controls do not function but the screen shows temp selected and all other controls.

Initial research - Advice about Heating Failure in 2008 led me to this website, and some members show pictures that do give some help but not accurate information for all the problem.
Searching for fuses and relays info online reveal limited information and give confusing details with poor or incorrect identity/numbering.

Confusing details - Fuse 11, Relay R7, Location/Identity of Thermostat / Resistor pack, Access to fan. Bull**** about the BSI and so confusion is apparent.

Access to Thermostat and Fan area
UK / RHD vehicle - Behind Glove compartment (LHS of main console)

Removal of glove campartment assembly is easy - you need a torque T20 drive only. 2 torque screws secure it to the top fixing frame, metal sprung clips hold the main assembly into the console.

First open Glove box, peer inside and a finger sized plastic tongue is seen in the roof of the compartment - press this up about 1cm and the box will fall forward by an inch (3cm), this allows the torque screw #1 at the top to be removed by a long handled torque screwdriver.
On left behind glove box front is a cover that gives access to the fuses. (More about these later)
Torque Screw #2 is seen on the top rail. - Remove this screw.

Under the glovebox is a lightweight flimsy comfort panel that holds a small courtesy light. This is secured using three plastic clips that require a small flat blade screwdriverto prise out/off - once clips off unplug the connection to the lamp and remove the panel.

WARNING - Airbag and Diagnostics Connections are attached to rear of glove box assembly - These are best removed and require pressing awkward/difficult retaining lugs using a screwdriver.
Removal of Glovebox fully - Tug very hard at both the LHS and RHS of glove box and the whole assembly will POP off,
Take Care with plugs

RESISTOR PACK
Location - Peer in the void where glove box was, look to RHS of central assembly sitting on the car floor (white in colour) you will see 2 grey pipes held in a black plastic holder, look behind these and you will see a black rectangular block with a plug fitted.
Removal - the pack is rectangular 2 inch by 3 inch and easily unlocked as a large plastic retaining clip releases it quickly - but to remove it is awkward slightly as the heating pipes to the matrix are in the way. Disconnect the single long plug first - It has 6 wires (4 large [Red, Black, Red, Green&Yellow & 2 thin) that point upwards
NOTE:On another car the plug has different color wires,
The retaining lug needs pressing in and can be hard to release so may need a screwdriver to assist you while pulling plug.

The resistor pack is modern electronic style having a large metal fin that acts a cooling vane and internally the circuit is complex with a Transistor/Triac that is the speed controller for the internal fan.

Fault found to be no 12V getting the Plug (Unusually this 12V supply was the central Red wire of plug and the Green&Yellow wire acting as the earth).
As I could see it I removed the internal fan and found it to have a glazed rotor - using a nail file board cleaned up the rotor contacts because I could, see below for advice on removal.
Cleaning rotor is not difficult but needs confidence to do - again an easy task, removal of brushes to be done carefully but no major difficulty to do.

INTERNAL FAN
This has a plug with two wires (Red & Black) connected to it from the 6 wire plug fitted to the Resistor Pack.

Location - Look above the resistor pack and a circular black shape is seen.
Removal - Unplug 2 pin plug then just above and beyond is a large plastic lug that needs to be pressed down and the fan rotated anticlockwise at same time - a little awkward but easy to do.
Care needs to be taken to remove the fan as wires from the internal temp sensor get in the way.
i would suggest you do not need to take this out only if you have to.

STILL YET TO REVEAL THE FAILURE - KEEP READING

FUSES
Some online advice and images give incorrect details about the location and which fuse/relay is for what purpose -also mixes older models 208/207/206 info.

Internal Fuse BoxOn line advice suggests internal fuse box on RHS behind glove box has fuse F11 is the fuse for additional heating - This is 5A and was not broken but I have a high opinion/probability (not been able to prove this [ran out of time] which possibly will help you if a bigger problem arises by suggesting it is the fuse that protects the fan controlling relay (To be revealed soon).

The fuse box also has ridiculously been positioned to make it very difficult to access all the fuses - look carefully at the very top of the internal fuse box 0 you will see another row of fuses. some 30A,most 5A with odd 10A.

Engine Bay Fuses - Located on RHS with a cover that is again a little awkward to remove as 1 clip is tight against ECU covering.

Looking inside you will notice a mix of relays (Large square boxes) and fuses, large and small. The relays have different coloured covers - Green, Red/Brown or Yellow.

The FAN CONTROL RELAY is R6 not R7 as implied by online info.
I have proven this exactly with testing circuit connections and control
Location - Top RHS of the fuse box the one in the far RHS corner, 1 of 2 same coloured covers. This car had two Yellow coloured relays located beside each other, one below the other on the side of the fuse box layout.

If you remove the relay the highest positioned connector is the control wire and requires 12V to operate it. This worked and so did the relay so the next task was to find why no 12V was getting to the fan Resistor pack above.

THE SOLUTION
As others online and members here have described/told the real problem is the poor plastic material used by Fiat in that the connector that joins the Relay R6 to the Resistor pack fails.
Others have put pictures on this forum - I shall try to add link when I can.

The wire is very thick - It is fed from the engine relay to this connector and then to the Resistor Pack. Also the colour changes from Grey to Green&Yellow at this plug, but I have seen pictures showing different colours.

Access is by removing a plastic cover inside passenger footwell.
Location - Lowest LHS plastic cover nearest front of car centre consol on the UK passenger footwell.
Removal - held by 1x T20 torque screw, pain in ass to reattach - ensure lug is correctly positioned before secure/screwing it up.
(panel is the one holding the passenger side lower courtesy light comfort panel in place when in situ)

PLASTIC PLUG FAILURE
The outside may look OK - it is only when you disconnect it do you see the damage. The plastic melts around the metal connectors and creates an insulated layer when it cools - it hardens to push/expand the metal connectors to cause an open circuit.

My remedy was to clean up the metal contacts and have warned my niece that the fault may reappear - then i will replace the connector fully with an alternative connection probably a high current screw connector for each wire.

Overall - It works - so please read my description fully before attempting to do any repair to ensure you stay safe - The wire is thick as the current flowing is very high and will cause a lot of heat if not managed correctly.

Back