petrol

Currently reading:
petrol

G

gerald

i was wondering if anybody knew which was the best petrol to use in a fiat engine, e.g. shell optimax, esso super unleaded, or just plain unleaded.
cheers
gerald

Hi mate,

It all depends really.I have a 1,8 HLX and i some times use normal Unleaded, which is fine but u pay for what u get.The optimax/super unleaded helps the performance i find by quite a lot.Im sure i've heard Nige say it also protects the engine better aswell.

Hope that helps

Allan

Petrol

Optimax or any other super-unleaded gives the car more power as it has more octane. But, from what ive seen on this site, the ecu on a 155 hgt is adaptive so will go quicker for a couple of tanks, then after that you loose the benefit.
I would of thought most of the Bravos are similar, but personally I think there would be virtually no performance decrease - it just the driver getting used to having more power.
I use optimax now and again - but not all the time as its more expensive than ordinary unleaded.
Best thing to do is try it and see how it goes - it won't do any harm.

Maybe i'm talking crap but i thought i saw a post months ago on this. I think it said that some people were getting irregular running(or something like that) after using optimax. Perhaps its just my overactive imagination, but if not perhaps i will try it in my 1.8 elx. Has anyone had a bad experience?

Optimax Trials

I trialled Optimax over two 400 mile tests in my 155HGT. I normally use Esso Super unless caught out then its any premium brand.

Optimax gives the same performance over the Esso Super to start with then there is a very noticable drop in performance. This happend twice both times at the third tank full. After returning to Esso Super, after the second tank full performance returned.

This is an experiment that friends have tried in various cars from TVR to BMW and I would say some 25% had the same issue, mainly on cars that were "highly strung" like the HGT. On some though, it made no difference at all.

I dont trust Shell fuel, especially after the Formula Shell fiasco of the late 80's which, for those of you reading this without a blanket on your knees, was the same theory as Optimax...only it ate Vauxhall heads and had to be taken off the market. (In hindsight I would have prefered they took Vauxhalls off the market and gave Shell a grant to develop the same for BMW's!)

I dont use Supermarket fuel either. Most of them, and I am willing to be corrected (oo er), use a blend of whatever fuel is cheapest for their buyers to obtain, so you dont know what additives are reacting with each other. That may be over reacting and there isnt an issue as you would probably mix two different suppliers in your tank anyway, but I dont want to be the one to find out!!

Anyway, after this long drivel, I use Esso Super in both my HGT and J*g if I can, followed by whatever premium brand I can get if I am caught out.

Nige

Re: Optimax Trials

Craig it was my message i posted a few months ago, stating that the cheap supermarket petrol clooged up my injectors and made it ideal irracticly. I now allways use the shell optimax petrol and find the engine is a lot more responsive, and the car starts better on a cold day.