Off Topic petrol

Currently reading:
Off Topic petrol

well said D4nny8oy this is my findings too on a day to day basis
i find the diesel shell to give much better economy too
silly thing is the shell near me is usually very competitively priced too so it makes me very happy but i always have to queue to get it

... We've noticed with cars on the dyno that when it comes to performance fuels, Shell is by far the best and most reliable for mapping. BP Ultimate is alarmingly inconsistant- a engine mapped to a good safety margin on Vpower, will end up suffering and running knock retard on Ultimate.

Perhaps supports the view that Shell is a `Top Tier’ fuel – while BP isn’t.

I believe GM were the instigators of bringing in their own fuel standards – that were taken up by BMW et al.

In the 2007 scare – did Tesco, Morrisons, Asda, & independents draw the same fuel & additives?

Was the presence of toluene in the fuel by accident … or design (as has happened elsewhere)?

What cars & engines were affected - & unaffected?

The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/autos/aut12.shtm

111130 17:43

I agree the premium fuels vary but the basic 95RON all has to meet a minimum standard.

Do a proper brim to brim test. Almost certainly, high octane will work out cheaper per mile than 95RON. I found Tesco 99 and Shell V-Power were the best in my HGT both cost less per mile and were nicer to drive with.

I agree the premium fuels vary but the basic 95RON all has to meet a minimum standard.

Do a proper brim to brim test. Almost certainly, high octane will work out cheaper per mile than 95RON. I found Tesco 99 and Shell V-Power were the best in my HGT both cost less per mile and were nicer to drive with.

But why should it work out cheaper? I can't understand the logic.

If you increase your fuel costs by 5% then your economy will only be better if your new av.mpg is >5%

Octane Quality & Vehicle Octane Requirement

Gasolines are most commonly rated based on their Antiknock Index (AKI), a measure of octane quality. The AKI is a measure of a fuel’s ability to resist engine knock (ping). The AKI of a motor fuel is the average of the Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON) as determined by the formula (R+M)/2. This is also the number displayed on the black and yellow octane decal posted on the gasoline pump. Optimum performance and fuel economy is achieved when the AKI of a fuel is adequate for the engine in
which it is combusted. There is no advantage in using gasoline of a higher AKI than the engine requires to operate knock-free.

The RON and MON of fuels are measured by recognized laboratory engine test methods. Results of these tests may generally be translated into approximate field performance.

In general, the RON affects low to medium speed knock and engine run-on or dieseling. If the Research Octane Number is too low, the driver could experience low speed knock and engine run-on after the engine is shut off.

The MON affects high speed and part-throttle knock. If the Motor Octane Number is too low, the driver could experience engine knock during periods of power acceleration such as passing vehicles or climbing hills.

Changes in Gasoline IV[2009] Renewable Fuels Foundation (p3)
http://ethanolrfa.org/page/-/rfa-association-site/ChangesinGasolineManualIV-UpdatedLogo.pdf?nocdn=1

This was about performance - not economy, or cleaning properties ...
"So, premium fuels can make your car go faster. On the basis of our [Thor Racing] tests Shell’s Optimax is a more performance orientated fuel than BP’s Ultimate. But only if your car can appreciate the difference.”
Jon Bentley, Fifth Gear

111130 23:43

Last edited:
Seems my fuel is now Total.

Re-fueled at ASDA this ev – while there was an ASDA liveried tanker in the yard. It’s been some time since I’d had a chat with a tanker driver.

I asked if it was Conoco fuel he was carrying. He said it was Total out of the Lindsey Oil Refinery. I asked about the additives - he said they were Total additives. I asked if there was such-a-thing as an ASDA mix of additives, he said not – the additives would be the same as went into the supplying company’s fuel.

111220 20:14

I use shellfuel save

maybe if i had a performance car like a Ferrari I might be tempted to use vpower.

But for your average motor I think its just a waste of money

I use fuel save on regular basis and found that sometimes the car drives great and sometimes the car feels not so good. I think the fuel is not always consistent and if you are unlucky you can get a bad batch. Noticed this even with v-power. On average though v-power feels better and the engine feels smoother when thrashed. I regularly use Sainsbury's super unleaded and that feels also good and more consistent between batches.

I have also noticed both v power and fuelsave diesel can be quite variable. On some occasions, I have noticed that the engine is muchquieter/crisper and has more poke , both on a punto jtd and astra td (isuzu engine). On other occasions, it has been below supermarket fuel standards. Incidentally, I find Sainsburys diesel to be amongst the most consistent.

i accidentally filled up with total Premium stuff (97) And my god the car feels so much more pokey!

Shame its mega expensive :(

The car is nippier - happier to rev and pulls a little bit better

still been a 1.2 its not the worlds fastest car, but it doesn't mind going

I think i might mix some Super and plain Stuff in the future

Ziggy

ASDAs fuel is just awful. It's 1.28 a litre but it seems to a) not move the guage and b) burn straight away. I love love love Shell's fuelsave petrol! The car seems to run better and I usually average more mpg if I'm driving normally and not redlining everywhere. :eek: I'm not keen on the fuel Jet supplies, seems over priced and again don't get much mpg.

To me, petrol is petrol, whatever's cheapest goes out of the local garages goes in, if I'm away from home or running out the nearest petrol goes in, can't say I've ever put any serious thought into it.

Was thinking of trying the good stuff in my bike

Seems my fuel is now Total.

Re-fueled at ASDA this ev – while there was an ASDA liveried tanker in the yard. It’s been some time since I’d had a chat with a tanker driver.

I asked if it was Conoco fuel he was carrying. He said it was Total out of the Lindsey Oil Refinery. I asked about the additives - he said they were Total additives. I asked if there was such-a-thing as an ASDA mix of additives, he said not – the additives would be the same as went into the supplying company’s fuel.

111220 20:14

Re-fueled this ev while ASDA tanker delivery in progress.

The tanker driver advised Total still the supply source.

120703 17:27

Back