Off Topic petrol

Currently reading:
Off Topic petrol

has anyone here used the shell fuelsave petrol in their punto? anyone rate it at all, or recomend using v-power or tescos 99 oct petrol. tank is running on fumes and thinking on what to fill her up with to get the best mpg, spend the least amount of cash and not destroy the engine in the process. i dont mind paying for the more expensive stuff if it will work out more efficiant over the course of the tank. i mostly do 3-4 mile commutes each way to work and mostly A roads/city driving if that makes more of a difference to what fuel is used.

Check-out the comments in telegraph/motoring supplement.

Their motoring guru Honest John argues for V-power petrol (FIAT 500: 56mpg) & Fuelsave diesel (Mazda 5: 45mpg).

Surly tho a full tank of Standard fuel + 1 bottle of octane booster is about same as a possible thought?

As surly thats what octane booster is really in Super Unleaded

Ziggy
dont trust additives like that. id rather just spend the extra few quid on posh petrol.
thats why im questioning whats the best to use to get the most out of a full tank.

dont trust additives like that. id rather just spend the extra few quid on posh petrol.
thats why im questioning whats the best to use to get the most out of a full tank.

A good Mpg fix is to stick a block of wood under the throttle :)

(btw thats a joke! - never let anything get under your pedals in your car!)

Why not see if a remapping company can make sure the car is the true bhp and tune for efficiency? that could work out cheaper in the long run?
Thats if the MOT people dont get to fanny arsed about it all

Ziggy

i aint touching anything like that. cant afford to for starters. lol. im just sticking with the basics for now. aint much point in a 1.2 and if i had a bigger engine, mpg wont be a factor. :devil:

so any more opinions/facts on the best go juice to put in my tank?

Surly tho a full tank of Standard fuel + 1 bottle of octane booster is about same as a possible thought?

As surly thats what octane booster is really in Super Unleaded

Ziggy

Octane boosters are a load of cack- it's been shown loads of times in various tests they do nothing to aid the resistance to knock and help produce more power. Vpower is so much more than just higher octane fuel.

The only question is whether the MPG gains from Vpower are substantial enough over Fuelsave to warrant the 5p+ extra cost per litre. Personally I find a noticeable MPG improvement using Fuelsave over supermarket fuels.

The only question is whether the MPG gains from Vpower are substantial enough over Fuelsave to warrant the 5p+ extra cost per litre. Personally I find a noticeable MPG improvement using Fuelsave over supermarket fuels.
this is exactly what im trying to find out. hopefully by tomorrow morning when i fill up. if not, ill try v-power one fill up and fuelsave the next....

All the results from the tests are in lab type conditions so unless you drive exactly the same as the test then their apparant benefits are a waste of time. I have used Tescos own normal fuel & never had an issue with it in my 6 yrs of driving. My average MPG is consistant unless i put my foot down!!! I only use the premimum as a treat when they give 5p off a litre!!!

i used fuelsave instead of tesco for the mpg reasons. with nothing out of the ordinary my stilo was returning 8MPG LESS over the tank. not impressed... filled her with tesco fuel yesterday

I use fuel save on regular basis and found that sometimes the car drives great and sometimes the car feels not so good. I think the fuel is not always consistent and if you are unlucky you can get a bad batch. Noticed this even with v-power. On average though v-power feels better and the engine feels smoother when thrashed. I regularly use Sainsbury's super unleaded and that feels also good and more consistent between batches.

Fuelsaver from Shell is only good to cars in brilliant condition.. And you have to fill up a full tank in order to gain any extra miles at all.

There results showed that a car using fuelsaver over regular fuel added extra miles but what they dont tell you is the fact the cars they test with are most likely brand new and they most likely test them in a facility where optimun mpg can be achieved without any road conditions.

Stick to either sainsburys unleaded or tesco.
I work for sainsburys and there quality of petrol is quite high.

Asda is shocking and is very diluted. so i wouldnt bother with that.

Shell v power and BP ultimate can help achieve higher mpg as the quality of fuel burns better but it all depends on the condition of the car.

imo none of the fuels are worth it unless your driving a performance car or a brand new car.

If you want some tips to save extra money and get more fuel then follow the following:

1) Fill up in the morning as the fuel is at its coldest and its more dense. (Fuel expands during the day seperating vapours from petrol)

2) Dont fill up on the highest speed. (Pushing more petrol through per second increases the amount of vapours that escape from the fuel, All pumps have a vapour control suction which sucks back vapours to reduce fire hazzard)

3) Dont fill up while a petrol filling lorry is filling the station. (As they are pouring in gallens of fuel, the fuel is being swirled around and you could potentially suck sand and small particles into your tank.

4)Keep your tank full above half. The less fuel you have in the tank allows more vapours to escape the fuel and then potentially waste fuel.

Hope the tips help

Last edited:
Back