Technical Petrol Tank Recall Advice

Currently reading:
Technical Petrol Tank Recall Advice

minimaddog

Hi, can anyone please advise,

my seicento spi (1999 Reg) has a bad petrol tank leak on the seams, with the smell etc. I understand that fiat recalled these back in the day is this still possible to do even though the car is 14 years old now? do they have a duty of care or would I have to replace myself?

Cheers

Given the low cost of a replacement tank and it being quite a simple job.
If you can do it yourself, just do it.

If you try and get Fiat to do it (which they may not now anyway) you'll still have wasted several days of your own time in the process.

Hi, can anyone please advise,

my seicento spi (1999 Reg) has a bad petrol tank leak on the seams, with the smell etc. I understand that fiat recalled these back in the day is this still possible to do even though the car is 14 years old now?

If it was never done originally under recall then they still legally have to complete the recall (y)

If it was never done originally under recall then they still legally have to complete the recall (y)

I think there is a time constraint here. Fiat would honour it up to XX years from first issue of the recall? A car of that age and design is within the limits of natural degradation?
You can try it, but don't get your hopes up.

I got the tank on the Cinq replaced free of charge about 4/5 years ago. It did take a few days and a bit of pestering, but a nice lady called Jasmine (iirc) at FIAT UK got it sorted.

I got the tank on the Cinq replaced free of charge about 4/5 years ago. It did take a few days and a bit of pestering, but a nice lady called Jasmine (iirc) at FIAT UK got it sorted.
When mine went a few years ago, a friend inside Fiat HQ in Slough said that mine would be covered, but that it would take a couple of trips back & forwards to a Fiat Main Dealer and would likely take a while to actually get done.
Given that I couldn't afford lost days taking it to a dealer, I got a tank and changed it myself.
If you are not in a hurry and don't mind a few trips to the dealer, try a recall claim.
BUT syphon some Petrol out to get the level well below the seam so you are not leaving a trail of Petrol all along your route...!!

Last edited:
Back