Technical Petrol Smell

Currently reading:
Technical Petrol Smell

banner

There is a smell of petrol in my B. I can't really tell where it's coming from. I've had a sniff in the boot and under the bonnet and the smell definately seems to be just in the cabin.

I'm thinking that it might be coming from the petrol filler pipe where it it comes into the car. Has anybody had this problem?

John

Could it be the vent on the top of the fuel tank letting out some vapours? I sometimes get that when I fill up, particularly if the day then warms up significantly.

Matt

Yup, this is a common complaint - do a search through the threads as there is a lot of info on this subject already on the forum. Seems to be worse on a full or empty tank of petrol and various resolutions have been put forward - not sure if anyone has ever actually tracked down the root cause though!

I don't know if this is of any help but for info, my petrol tank seems to get quite pressurised. There is always a hiss of gas and release of pressure when I take the cap off to fill up. And when it gets warmer outside the car makes quite disconcerting farting noises from the petrol cap. I've never noticed this pressure build up with any other car.

xS

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses.

I did have a quick search of the forum before I posted, but coudn't find anything relevant. I've just had another try and found a post about a failing seal on top of the fuel tank causing smells in the cabin. I'll try and find the time this weekend to have a look ( got to work on Sunday :( )

My tank also seems to get quite pressurised. I've never thought this to be an issue, because my Alfa 156 also does this.

I'll let you know how I get on.

John

I've just put my B on the road after a winter lay-up & I'm getting petrol smell in the boot. I've had a quick look under the car & the fuel lines & filter look OK. I've also noticed the smell also comes from the boot release lever so I assume the fumes are coming from the tank. Does anyone know how to get to the tank? I assume its behind the seats. Not had a look yet.

I think there's sort of a guide in Doc's thread. Remove trim, a bunch of screws etc. And, yup, it's behind the seats.

I've just put my B on the road after a winter lay-up & I'm getting petrol smell in the boot. I've had a quick look under the car & the fuel lines & filter look OK. I've also noticed the smell also comes from the boot release lever so I assume the fumes are coming from the tank. Does anyone know how to get to the tank? I assume its behind the seats. Not had a look yet.

Yup, you need to remove the trim from behind the seats, then you will be able to see the bulkhead that hides the tank..........

Hmmm, just getting this myself.

Being me, I'll just leave it until I explode in a ball of flames.

Jon

There is a smell of petrol in my B. I can't really tell where it's coming from. I've had a sniff in the boot and under the bonnet and the smell definately seems to be just in the cabin.

I'm thinking that it might be coming from the petrol filler pipe where it it comes into the car. Has anybody had this problem?

John

Hi, I had this smell of petrol in the B and got it sorted at DTR but it cost £££ however hopefully you are a bit luckier.

It is probably down to the seal on top of the tank wearing away over time. My B is over 12 years old now and apprantly this is a common problem

Usually it just means removing the trim and replacing the seal which cost me two hours labour at DTR (and no part cost) however water had got into the seal on mine and rusted away meaning i needed a new tank as it couldnt be repaired.

Hope that helps!

I bet that cost you a load of $$$$ Neil

Hmmmmmmmmmm i'm still kind of recovering! The guys at DTR had a slightly used one in the workshop so i got that for much less then a new one but ended up spending £600 + in total as the wiper motor also went at the same time so they had the car for a few days. Used money i was saving for retrimming the seats so put that on the back burner for the time being. Shows how much i love this car as i only paid £1800 for it so must be close to that now on repairs and mods but still going to keep going!

As i was only budgeting for a couple of hours labour was a nasty shock ,on the plus side i no longer get a fuzzy head when driving with the roof up (y)

Usually it just means removing the trim and replacing the seal which cost me two hours labour at DTR (and no part cost) however water had got into the seal on mine and rusted away meaning i needed a new tank as it couldnt be repaired.

It's at times like that I'd want to see the replaced part. I seem to recall that one of our mainland europe friends says they have to give any replaced parts back ??

NOTE: I am not implying any foul play.

Hmmmmmmmmmm i'm still kind of recovering! The guys at DTR had a slightly used one in the workshop so i got that for much less then a new one but ended up spending £600 + in total as the wiper motor also went at the same time

on the plus side i no longer get a fuzzy head when driving with the roof up (y)

aah the wiper motor, that was a whole other thread, depends if you had to pay for the whole wiper system which is about £300. or if they had a spare motor to put on.

Had a go at finding petrol smell yesterday. As informed you have to take off plastic trims that cover seat belt guides, roof gas strut covers & the trim that goes half way along the door sill. Bulkhead was easy to get out. I found that the 2 pipes from the filler cap weren't very tight at all, in fact they pulled off the tank quite easily! Fiat use a type of steel clip that isn't adjustable (like jubilee clips). This is fine when everything is new but after a few years they will lose their grip. This was confirmed by petrol stains around the vent pipe & filler pipe. I used a couple of narrow jubilee clips & the pipes are good & tight. Couldn't see what held the pipes to the filler cap though. Job took about 3hrs. Hope this helps anyone else.

Back