Technical performance panel filter

Currently reading:
Technical performance panel filter

Generally freer revving, sharper response and maybe 5% more bhp. Have tried them in a few cars with the same results.

Cheaper and easier to fit than an induction kit, not really necessary to declare to insurance.

i fitted a K&N panel filter to my sisters 60, she said no difference in performance, it sounded a bit better when revved, but not like an induction kit.

i then drilled her airbox this is when she said it immediatly had more GO in it :) and the sound was :yum: i prefer it to induction kit sound (y)

I just fitted a BMC panel filter to my punto last week and noticed an instant improvement in acceleration and throttle response.I dont think they add any hp but it certainly makes the acceleration a lot smoother and power seems to be readily available no matter what gear you are in. I would recommend them if you cant afford an induction kit or like my case your insurance wouldnt allow it. Im going to do a cold air feed to the box in the next few days to see if that can improve it further (y)

Short answer - No, fitting a performance filter will not make any appreciable difference (definitely not at the power levels that Puntos put out). You will gain about 1 BHP or so compared to the old, dirty filter - but that same gain will be had by just putting in a clean, standard replacement element.

People who say things like "yeah, gives me an extra 10 horses..." etc are lying. A lot of people will "think" the car is going faster, just cos they've hyped themselves up so much.

As for induction kits, in a lot of cases, you can actually lose power, and especially low down torque. Occasionally you may gain about 1% right up in the rev range, but only if you've got a proper cold air feed setup (and not too cold, as the fuel won't suspend properly in the air).

You've also got other effects such as reflected shockwaves etc in the airboxes. Getting rid of the airbox will disturb this. In almost all cases, these effects don't contribute much, so you won't notice a difference. In a tiny fraction, you may gain an unnoticeable amount, likewise, some will lose out.

There are benefits to the high performance panel filters though - I must confess, I've put one in my girlfriend's Punto. That was because I managed to get hold of it for the same price as a standard element, and it can just be cleaned every year or two, rather than having to buy another one.

Oh, and by the way, I'm doing an engineering degree, and we do flow work as part of it. I can tell you that the flow a small engine as what is fitted to these cars will never draw enough air to be anywhere near the limit to what the filter can provide - changing the type of filter makes very little difference at these flow speeds.

Sorry to ramble on, but I get fed up of people who reckon their car's "sorted" because they've slapped the first "induction kit" on they could find. They'd get better results by cleaning all the carbon deposits out of the induction system, and setting up the mixtures etc properly. For power gains, you want to sort out the rough edges and sharp bends elsewhere in the induction system before fitting an expensive filter.

Other than that, if you can get them cheap, they are worth it just for the fact you don't need to keep shelling out to replace them every year - just clean them

Well the BMC panel filters are the most expensive ones ive seen. Theyre the same crowd that make the ones for formula one cars. I paid 80 euro (postage included) for mine and its well worth it. Even looking at it you can tel its better than those crap k&n ones you see,its got way more complex layers. Now im ont saying it gave me any extra hp but it definately improves and smoothened accleration and throttle response. With a good cold air feed i reckon its a winning combination for a nice responsive throttle, unfortunately i havent fitted one yet! :bang:

Fiat126BIS said:
Sorry to ramble on, but I get fed up of people who reckon their car's "sorted" because they've slapped the first "induction kit" on they could find.

:yeahthat:

BUT - my £7.99 universal filter, that's a different story. My Punto gained 430BHP! :eek:

oh dear another induction kit thread, maybe we could get some t-shirts made up and a petition?

"Stop air filter threads today!"

Simply by donating £2 a month all air filter threads could be destroyed???

Yeah but thefishdude just wants info about the driveabilty after fitting a panel filter, not the usual K&N vs BMC thread :p He already knows that real power gains are out of the question!

Anyway, fuel economy might improve..?? You'll only see a real difference after a remap ;)

wolfracepunto said:
Yeah but thefishdude just wants info about the driveabilty after fitting a panel filter, not the usual K&N vs BMC thread :p He already knows that real power gains are out of the question!

Anyway, fuel economy might improve..?? You'll only see a real difference after a remap ;)
and if your gettin a remap pair it up with a BMC from angel tuning ;)

Back