Technical People With Alloys & Wheelspacers please :)

Currently reading:
Technical People With Alloys & Wheelspacers please :)

Right, first off ill mention that my car is lowered. around 70mm. and I have Abarth Alloys on it which i bought week after lowering now.. my question is..

When the Mk2's came out of the factory, did they have spacers on them? to avoid Rubbing, since alloys are wider than steelies?

I'm got them fitted with my original wheel bolts but I'm planning on getting some 5mm Wheel spacers for the front & 10mm on the back.

Would be thankful if anybody could help me on the size of bolts that i need.

Thanks!

5mm spacers may be ok, but any spacer will mess up the steering and overstrain the wheel bearings. Hopefully you have camber adjustment bolts on the suspension if not these will bring the top of the front wheels out so they fill the arches.

You may also need to have the arches rolled to avoid the wheels rubbing.

Make sure the wheel bolts you have are long enough. I suspect standard bolts for steelies are shorter than for alloys.

5mm spacers may be ok, but any spacer will mess up the steering and overstrain the wheel bearings. Hopefully you have camber adjustment bolts on the suspension if not these will bring the top of the front wheels out so they fill the arches.

You may also need to have the arches rolled to avoid the wheels rubbing.

Make sure the wheel bolts you have are long enough. I suspect standard bolts for steelies are shorter than for alloys.

Yeah I have Camber ajustment. I've been thinking of getting the arches rolled, A friends dad can do it :D if its needed.

LOL been running the alloys on the standard bolts anyway :S seem to be fine though thankgod. my wheels are pritty much at the arches atm. hence the small push of 5/10mm.

Unless its for show only, leave the wheels without spacers - they will mess up the handling. You also need some clearance as tyres move about.

The wheel bolts will be fine until the threads strip so check them ASAP.

Unless its for show only, leave the wheels without spacers - they will mess up the handling. You also need some clearance as tyres move about.

The wheel bolts will be fine until the threads strip so check them ASAP.

dont go wider at the rear, 5mm all round will be fine

so you suggest 5mm all around on my stand bolts?

I guess. If I have problem with standard bolts.. Ill just get some bigger ones :)
Thanks guys

Wheel bolts for steels will be marginal length on alloys. They WILL be way too short with 5mm spacers. Dont forget the locking bolts.

Back