people parking there cars across your drives

Currently reading:
people parking there cars across your drives

I live near a school so there's loads of cars parked all over at certain times of the day cos wee Johnny won't walk the half mile to school :mad:

Some of the parents have no respect for the residents are park all over, on corners, on the pavement and across driveways. I live on a fairly narrow street so if someone parks opposite my drive its just about impossible to get out and turn into the road :bang:

A woman down the road from me asked a parent to move her car a while back. Got a punch in the face for her trouble!

I live near a school so there's loads of cars parked all over at certain times of the day cos wee Johnny won't walk the half mile to school :mad:

Some of the parents have no respect for the residents are park all over, on corners, on the pavement and across driveways. I live on a fairly narrow street so if someone parks opposite my drive its just about impossible to get out and turn into the road :bang:

:yeahthat: we have a service road out the front here an all so people treat it like a free public car park. although i have my methods for preventing this and if my ma catches them they get a right winge or a letter on the windscreen.

if there in the way f my dad aand he realy needs out he just drives into them.

A woman down the road from me asked a parent to move her car a while back. Got a punch in the face for her trouble!

i live about 300-400 yards from a popular school, its a nightmare, i'm so glad im out before them and back after them! my road is also very narrow and if someone parked opposite my drive i would not be able to get out!

circa its not against the law to block someones driveway, however you have to move when requested.

OP lets hope this twonk dont come back and do any damage to your car / house....

i live about 300-400 yards from a popular school, its a nightmare, i'm so glad im out before them and back after them! my road is also very narrow and if someone parked opposite my drive i would not be able to get out!

circa its not against the law to block someones driveway, however you have to move when requested.

OP lets hope this twonk dont come back and do any damage to your car / house....

- Highway Code point 217 “DO NOT PARK in front of an entrance to a property”
Strange thing is, if they block you in, they are committing an offence (but only if your vehicle is legally entitled to be on the road ie, taxed, MOTd, (or booked in for MOT) or insured ).
Whereas they can park across an empty drive!

- Highway Code point 217 “DO NOT PARK in front of an entrance to a property”
Strange thing is, if they block you in, they are committing an offence (but only if your vehicle is legally entitled to be on the road ie, taxed, MOTd, (or booked in for MOT) or insured ).
Whereas they can park across an empty drive!

yep but the law is an ass as before with my gran her next door neighbor is a driving instructor (he taught me poor sod ) anyhow he came home the other week and couldn't get in his drive as tw@ had blocked his and my grans drives (they are semi's..... )

Just as "luck" would have it a cop car came down, he flagged them down and explained and they said that they couldn't do anything about it.......:

what happens if you have a trailer you want out and the drive is blocked? your car is on the front but you can't get a trailer out, isn't insured unless its hooked to a car, what if it "fell" into the side of the car which blocked the drive :chin:

Therefore, most neighbourly people will never park directly in front of someone’s driveway. However, IMPORTANT NOTE – it’s not illegal to do so!

The Highway Code, paragraph 207, asks that people DO NOT park their vehicle where it might cause an obstruction to other pedestrians or road users and cites the example of not parking in front of another person’s driveway. However, this is where the law gets ‘cloudy’. It does not legally state that a person MUST NOT park in front of another driveway. Therefore, whilst mutual respect between road users tends to dictate a policy of not doing this so as to avoid unnecessary conflict, it’s not backed up by law so if you experience problems with this and your neighbour digs their heels in and refuses to co-operate, all you can then do, if you need guaranteed access and exit, is to park your car elsewhere and not on your driveway.

In essence, whilst there are certain rules and regulations under the Highway Code relating to parking on public highways, mostly it’s a matter of common decency and courtesy. Speaking calmly to neighbours and explaining reasons why you might need to park here or there, if practical, will usually result in you getting what you want. Just remember, however, that unless they are breaking the law, people are entitled to park anywhere they want to on a public highway providing they aren’t in breach of the Highway Code. If they are, then you can report that matter to the police if further action needs to be taken.

That article seems to contradict itself. It's not illegal to park in front of a driveway...as long as you aren't in breach of the HC (which clearly tells you not to block).
As Andy pointed out, the coppers wouldn't get involved as the car wanted access. If the car was blocked in then the police would take action (if the car is legally entitled to be on the road, you cannot prevent it.)

hi,I mind of a mate of my brothers was getting hassle with nxt door neighbours parking over his drive,well one night they done it and all went to the pub,so mate got truck with hi ab and lifted into there front fenced enclosed garden.(y)

DO NOT stop or park
  • near a school entrance
  • anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
  • at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
  • on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
  • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
  • near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
  • opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
  • where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
  • where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
  • in front of an entrance to a property
  • on a bend
  • where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic

If your drive is legal, dropped kerb, then if someone parks across your drive while your car is on it, then they are guilty of the offence of Unnecessary Obstruction. In GMP land that is Offence Code 320 and is punishable by a Fixed Penalty Notice of £30. Unless they don't want to play ball, in which case
it comes down to the Magistrates. If the Cop (not Local Authority Parking Attendant) or Traffic PCSO, if you have them, can persuade the Duty Inspector, the vehcle can be removed at the owner's expense. Unfortunately,
since the demise of the Police Traffic Warden, the only people who can enforce this offence are the aforementioned PC or TPCSO. Normal PCSOs can't, at least not in our area. The reason the offence only applies if the vehicle is on the drive, is that the obstructing driver is preventing you going about your normal daily life, which could include going to the Hospital or work or the buy food. If you can't get on the drive then you could simply park elsewhere until the other vehicle has gone.

Remember, in the Highway Code, Should means it is a Rule and should be obeyed, and Must, which means failure to follow the Code can result in prosecution.

Someone parked over my drive and blocked me in. Unable to find the driver, I called the plod. They were unable to locate the driver, but gave them a fine for blocking the driveway.

there's a guy in a red bmw who often parks in stupid places. I've thought about me and a couple of friends putting the back axle on bricks and watching him trying to drive off when he comes back for it.

Someone has a doner ibiza sat on their drive way round mine at the moment. for a while he kept parking in the space I usually park in. bit miffed about it but it isn't my drive so figured there was nothing I could do.
walked past their car the other day and saw one of the neighbours had left a hand written note on the winscreen which read 'Believe car dumped - police informed'. Funnily enough the owner now parks it on the big bit of kerb in front of their own house.

Back