PC/Laptop - tv connection...?

Currently reading:
PC/Laptop - tv connection...?

Can it be done? moreso, laptop to tv? Some kind of remote screen option via a usb or monitor output to scart/AV inputs? As i download LEGAL movies i like to put them on my slave hardrive and leave my op system running drive as free as possible. SO instead of wating money on dvd disks id rather just connect it to the tv to have a better view (38inch widescreen :D )

can it be done and if so, what would i need? ANY help will be appreciated, thankyou

Jordan

All my movies are on an external 300Gb HDD connected to my PC, and I stream them wirelessly across the network to watch on the 36" Widescreen and surround sound, which is in the lounge.

How do I do this? Via a modded xbox of course, which runs X-Box Media Centre :slayer:

With filesharing set up, I can not only watch movies, but do picture slideshows, watch music with visualisations on the TV, etc. T'is great :D

Depends on the TV & laptop... Sound complicated but it's not...

The most common form is S-Video to SCART. Problem is you require a spare SCART connection to a TV or video/DVD/Skybox & scrabble around at the back of these. For kicks repeated plugging/unplugging can break the solder joints on some TVs.

Next up TVs with aux S-Video in, guess what you need an S-Video to S-Video cable. If you've got an S-Video connector on the front this will be almost certainly resistant to 'abuse'/repeated use. Some TVs don't have aux S-Video in but have an aux composite in, just check the laptop supports this & you still have that cable (it's vendor specific :bang: can be 15£ to replace :eek:).

Finally the best, and least common, method. HDMI, sported on the latest (and greatest?) HDTVs coming onto the market, it's basically a mini DVI-D connector. You need a TV with a spare HDMI connector & your laptop must have a DVI-D connector. It also means you can use your TV as a giant high-resoution display.

Hmm, i have an xbox already but its just standard, was gona give it away last week lol.

S-video to scart sounds familiar. i have 4 scart-in's on the back of my tv, and the red yellow and white connector on the front. :confused: whats the s-video look like? I dont need a TV card for this do I (n)

Jordan

punto_jr_sx75 said:
S-video to scart sounds familiar. i have 4 scart-in's on the back of my tv, and the red yellow and white connector on the front. :confused: whats the s-video look like? I dont need a TV card for this do I (n)

S-Video is a 4-pin mini-DIN

As for your connectors would these plug into it? If so...
Yellow = composite video
Red = right audio channel
White = left audio channel

a TV card is not what you want, they take TV/Video signal and decode it for playback on your PC. What you want is 'Video Out' this usually is a 6-pin mini-DIN connector next to the VGA out.

if you're talking desktop PC most modern graphics card have video out on them. Laptops, however, can be a little more trick, I've seen 'VIVO' PC cards (that's Video In, Video Out) but they weren't cheap & for video playback a cheap 'second head' card would be useless...

Damn, i think i have 128mb integrated graphics :( Lavalyss Everest dusnt show anything other than 128mb integrated so id say thats way i have. I do however have a VGA slot, would it be of benefit to get a card with the Mini din? i mean, there isnt any kind of monitor out-scart in option is there :eek:

Jordan

pardon me if I don't get into this cause
a) I don't want to tell you the wrong thing and
b) I've had a little to much to drink(which impacts on item a)

Thanks anyway stonenewt (y) Appreciate the help so far. :)

If anyone could lead me in teh right direction of what i need excatly, i could be grateful, seeing as i have integrated graphics and a VGA slot, does this mean i need a graphics card to run it? If so, i dont require anythign gaming compatible as theres another better spec comp in the house for that, just suamt to run the films :p

Thanks so far everyone

Jordan

yup, ive seen them before and know ATI radeons are good from what ive heard, seems exactly what i need, basic spec etc, thanks very much, dnt worry if your wrong lol i will order it next week so if you wana re-check (if you havea heavy conscience) in the afternoon tomorrow when you're less tipsy i would be very grateful! Thanks everyone

Jordan

That answer is a tad more complicated than you realise, there are many different types of 'VGA slot' as you put it...

Back