Paul's challenge

Currently reading:
Paul's challenge

I intend to try and give a simple challenge to make people think and also an interesting fact. Sadly I have forgotten this weeks' interesting fact at the moment (thought up in the shower at 7am this morning I may add!) but the challenge still exists. This one is very simple with GCSE science.

Anybody who uses a electric toothbrush or some types of shaver may notice that there are no prongs/contact plates for charging. If this is the case? How does it charge?

I will try to rememeber my fact as it was quite an interesting point!

Well I don't actually know but it can't be that clever, It's presumably just a transformer (coils with wires at right angles) sort of arrangement...?

Yep, arc put it correctly. Clever hey?

You don't notice it (well, most don't) until you think about it! Our old ones were pronged when i was younger, all recent ones weren't though, just assumed 2 areas were conductive plastic then had a thing and damn, yep, it's basically a transformer betweent he two units.

Simple, nothing to rust etc.

No way! A levels don't need you to think. It would start off with "A transformer system is used to charge a.." and end with "if the voltage in the primary coil is 120v, with 120 coils, how many coils are required in the secondary coil to get a charging voltage of 12v!

Ah Liam, with a toothbrush you find that since it is nearly always wet etc. the parts do rust and since the prongs would usually have a sheer force against them, most normal rust prevention methods wouldn't work too well.

Safety is also a benefit but in my opinion not their main reason.

Ah now that's more probably to do with the battery technology and a trickle charger. CHarging batteries kills them as does discharging, doing either at a quicker rate is worse for them. SLow that charging down (which is fine for something you don't usually need instantly like a toothbrush) and it will mean that your £x toothbrush will last longer since you have to throw it away once the battery is dead.

Well it's my second sonicare and this is the same as the first, excellent but i used my mum's at home (elite model) and it's so much better, grrr.... I honestly wouldn't touch a different type of toothbrush at the moment unless I really had to!

Oh shut up and edit or delete your post. This is less "spam" than the majority of your postings and obviously people were interested otherwise they wouldn't have replied.

Yes I love using used toothrbushes. Not got an electric toothbrush Pete mate? The heads are changable! ;)

Back