Technical Passenger Outer CV boot replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Passenger Outer CV boot replacement

jambob28

My CV boot has split, so I need a new one.
Just wondering what these are like to fit on Puntos.

Does this sound about right?

undo the 6 alen key bolts.
take out the top bolt of the suspension strut.
pull the hub out and the inner cv joint will drop down.
remove the circlip and take the inner cv joint off.
cut the old split cv boot off.
slide the new one on and greese up if needed.
then put everything back together.

just doing mine today,depending on what punto your on this is what i did.
1,remove wheel
2,remove bolt (bottom ball joint) 13mm
3,remove nut (steering track rod end) 15mm?
4,remove big drive shaft nut from hub
5,big hammer to shock the track rod off
6,big bar to lever the bottom arm off the hub
7,tap out the drive shaft
i found it easier to remove the inner shaft boot clamps and pull it out making sure the gearbox output shat stays in,and then tap the cv joint off the shaft.
hope this helps,this is for a 2001 punto mk2 sporting

The original Fiat outer clip is beefier than some of the aftermarket types and I have found that it grips better even reusing the one that came off in preference to the skinny ones in the boot kit. I leave the bottom knuckle alone and remove the two bolts at the bottom of the suspension strut and let the hub pivot out. You need to undo the clip retaining the brake hose and I use two hammers against each other to release the track rod outer end - doesn't take much effort if you get the timing right.

Remember when removing the gaitor to undo the big hub nut / slacken it while the car is on the ground unless you have an impact gun

If you havent had the bottom ball joints out - often the seize in tight, making it harder to undo
So if you do remove, clean the very perky nipple up a little too

I'm all for drive shaft out the hub more too!

Ziggy

I've had an absolute mare removing the two lower strut bolts when swapping my suspension spring.
The TRE is also seized in tight, nut came off but won't budge at all.

I just want to do it whilst having to undo as little as possible, as more than likely everything will be seized solid!

Tre is tight but prob not seized and will pop out clean and silvery. Have you tried tapping the hub arm with two hammers. The idea is to hit both sides where the tre attaches simultaneously so nothing moves. The timing is more important than the size of the hit. A smart tap will do it. You could belt away all day with a single sledge hammer and nothing will shift. If the other wheel is still on the floor you can end up fighting the arb getting the bolts in and out of the strut.

That must be the problem. I was hitting it upwards on the bottom of the thread and getting nowhere.

I'm not 100% on what you mean, do you mean hitting at the two points like this:

05_steeringdisconnected_zps23b8755c.jpg

Hi all,

I'm trying to separate the CV joint from the driveshaft, here's what I've done so far;

- Undone the two suspension strut bolts
- Undone and pulled out the track rod end
- Pulled out the driveshaft from the pot joint (going into the gearbox)

Now trying to pull apart the other end, and it won't separate.

Any ideas what left I have to do?

Thanks

The driveshaft is free from the inner CV boot/join
But I can't get it free from the hub the other end. The inner just popped out.
But pulling really hard on the driveshaft away from the hub it won't release.
Tried hitting it with a hammer
The hub is only attached by the ball joint.
Not sure what to do

look at the end of the driveshaft by the gearbox and in front of the cog there is a circlip i seem to remember
remove circlip and carefully tap the cog off
you can now slide the cv boot off if doing n/s
o/s has the damper weight on it so if this undoes (i cant remember) you would need to remove this but mark its position first

if you want to get the driveshaft off the outer cv joint ideally you need it off in your hand and the shaft placed in the vice
its then best to hit the edge of the joint with a nice large copper hammer because this transfers all the energy in better than metal on metal with a normal hammer
you can do it in situ on the hub on the car but last time i did it this way it was a right palaver to split

read post 2
i even rated it

Last edited:
look at the end of the driveshaft by the gearbox and in front of the cog there is a circlip i seem to remember
remove circlip and carefully tap the cog off

you can now slide the cv boot off if doing n/s
o/s has the damper weight on it so if this undoes (i cant remember) you would need to remove this but mark its position first

if you want to get the driveshaft off the outer cv joint ideally you need it off in your hand and the shaft placed in the vice
its then best to hit the edge of the joint with a nice large copper hammer because this transfers all the energy in better than metal on metal with a normal hammer
you can do it in situ on the hub on the car but last time i did it this way it was a right palaver to split

read post 2
i even rated it

Cheers mate. Did this in the end, so now can slide the new CV boot on without removing DS from the hub.

Back