Technical Parking brake "Drive away release" doesn't release

Currently reading:
Technical Parking brake "Drive away release" doesn't release

SPalmer

A couple of times we have had problems with the parking brake not automatically releasing as it should when one drives away. Each time this has happened, we wanted to reverse, never in Drive. Pressing the switch and the brake pedal together didn't release it either. We had to stop and restart the car, then press brake pedal and parking brake switch to get it to release. Has anyone else had this? It feels like a software problem - I asked the dealers if there is an update to the car software, but they seemed a bit clueless about this too.

This may be a stupid question, but was the driver's seatbelt fastened when this happened? I ask this because I regularly reverse out of a steep, narrow driveway with a bend and I've always done that without fastening the seatbelt but on my 500X, the parking brake won't auto release without it fastened. That wouldn't explain why it wouldn't release manually though.

Last edited:
Richie is correct about the driver's seatbelt needing to be fastened for the parking brake to automatically disengage on "drive away release". There's a section on manual over-ride of the Safe Hold function which, read literally, requires the driver's door to be open too.

Capture.JPG

Back