Technical Panel behind radiator

Currently reading:
Technical Panel behind radiator

Badget

Does anybody know why there is a panel in the cavity behind the radiator?

It just seems to be shoved in there and apart from restricting airflow doesn't really seem to have a purpose

Attachments

• 20230331_155208.jpg
    20230331_155208.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 166
It makes sure the air goes out the bottom and under the rear of the car to exit. Otherwise uou will be trying to cool the engine with hot air.
Hmmmm, interesting.... mine has never had that panel, and I have tried most things, with varying degrees of success to achieve reasonable cooling.... I have had my camper for 15yrs and never realised such a panel existed! Anyone got further/clearer photos of it?

I have only just looked at the original thread, with that much blanking of the radiator I am surprised it didn't boil it's head off.
Surely not a factory mod.;)

I tend to agree, in logic but there's nothing very logical about the 900e, and it looks original... mine has a scoop at bottom of rad though????
In the 1980s I had a customer with an 850 camper but never got the need to look at the radiator , just general maintenance and servicing, so can't shed any further light. Earlier than that I worked in the 1970s on the 850 saloons and coupes, both Fiat and Seat at the time , but too long ago for me to recall, sorry.

I've never actually driven this van or even ran the engine for any length of time so I can't say how well, or how poorly it cools.
It has had a new radiator at some point.

I know it was in daily use before being parked so it can't have been as detrimental as it looks.

It doesn't look like a home made modification but nor does it appear to have any desirable effect.

This van is missing the scoop but does have it's original under tray.
Ive never seen another van with this panel

I can't get any other pictures just yet but soon I'll be starting on the back end and the engine and radiator will be coming out so I'll get a proper look and post some more pictures then

Had an 903 amigo camper whick had a shroud to direct airflow, it was taken out to have some new metal in the lower corner of bodywork…pictures not good but didn’t look like that, more like a horseshoe shaped horse collar, if that makes sense. So very much like a standard (for the era) shroud that fits a radiator/fan with an open piece, flared out, at the bottom

I've never actually driven this van or even ran the engine for any length of time so I can't say how well, or how poorly it cools.
It has had a new radiator at some point.

I know it was in daily use before being parked so it can't have been as detrimental as it looks.

It doesn't look like a home made modification but nor does it appear to have any desirable effect.

This van is missing the scoop but does have it's original under tray.
Ive never seen another van with this panel

I can't get any other pictures just yet but soon I'll be starting on the back end and the engine and radiator will be coming out so I'll get a proper look and post some more pictures then
Thanks Badget, I think I understand how and why that plate would work, given the principle that the cooling fan blows out through the rad, and draws cold fresh air in through side louvres, and I think its the answer to my mystery of cooling issues, just really need to ascertain if its factory fitted- if so then it would direct waste/hot air through bottom scoop. I think timmy is also correct - without it, ongoing air as you drive would surely force back against the air the fan is trying to expel? Am VERY interested to follow this, thanks Badget!

The 850 saloon has a hole in the rear right wheelarch and I think the ram air coming through combined with air pushed through from the fan meets and looks for an escape which is out through the bottom. I think that's the theory on the saloon but the Amigo I'm not sure

The 850 saloon has a hole in the rear right wheelarch and I think the ram air coming through combined with air pushed through from the fan meets and looks for an escape which is out through the bottom. I think that's the theory on the saloon but the Amigo I'm not sure
Do you have any pics fr85? It's hard to tell what's original on these old vans now, they seem to have had so many 'mods' and corrosion repairs by now.

Certainly, old pic I took for another chap on the forum but hopefully it helps! This is from the back with the rad out.
Just spotted another section missing over by the starter that I'd forgotten about.
Hoping to grease kingpins and oil the leaf springs tomorrow so if you need anymore pics let me know

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-11-21-48-37-367_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-11-21-48-37-367_com.android.chrome.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
On the cars this panel appears to be one piece and part of the bulkhead
On the vans the lower portion is a separate, bolt on shroud though it looks very similar once bolted on.

Mine is entirely missing, though I can't see how the panel in question would have much influence on airflow below the car/van.

I've spent hours trawling through restoration threads and pictures and have never seen another with this panel fitted.

Attachments

• s-l400-1.jpg
    s-l400-1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 36
On the cars this panel appears to be one piece and part of the bulkhead
On the vans the lower portion is a separate, bolt on shroud though it looks very similar once bolted on.

Mine is entirely missing, though I can't see how the panel in question would have much influence on airflow below the car/van.

I've spent hours trawling through restoration threads and pictures and have never seen another with this panel fitted.
Can’t say our amigo had that, seems much more of a cover than an air deflector

Just found this manual diagram, anyone recognise this panel? I don't think it's present on mine, but looks like it's possibly to shroud/blank the forward face of radiator? Was this how fiat designed the airflow through rad without fighting against atmospheric pressure as it drove along?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230412_235041_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230412_235041_eBay.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 46
I could've done with that a year ago, I've just made most of what's in that diagram.

The piece circled is part of the bulkhead and you'd certainly notice if it was missing. It's best seen from inside the van

Here are some pictures of the bulkhead without the engine and rad.
You can see that panel here on the right hand side.

The theory being that the radiator fits snuggly against this, creating a sealed duct to carry hot air under the van.
Once the associated shrouds and Shields are added that is.

It's going to be interesting to see what the extra panel on mine is supposed to be doing, but that will have to wait for now, there's still an outer sill and chassis leg to do first.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413-111807_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413-111807_Samsung Internet.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20230413-111758_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230413-111758_Samsung Internet.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 38
That diagram was in an advert on ebay at moment, for a panel manual for 850t (bit dear for me) but very coincidental timing! Have just double checked, I do have that original panel and the scoop at bottom. I made the other trays but still struggle. I do think trying to move an underpowered vehicle in modern traffic also compounds things somewhat. Would love to know if your 'mystery' panel helps or hinders. I have even tried extra rad and elec water pump!

Extra rad?
I'd be interested to know more about that.

I'm not sure I'll be able to tell of it's effect as I'm currently considering an engine swap.

Extra rad?
I'd be interested to know more about that.

I'm not sure I'll be able to tell of it's effect as I'm currently considering an engine swap.
It's really a largish heater matrix, mounted in nearside rear wing, by the louvres. Plumbed in to the heater lines, thought it would add more coolant into system, and also provide further cooling, but I don't feel its been much help. Just a crude experiment really!

Back