IMG_20200822_134451818.jpg

Panda Pandalicious and PandaCento

Introduction

Greetings from Denmark! 👋

So ... some 15 years ago I bought my first Fiat Seicento which I then traded in for an Alfa 156 and time flew by until I ended up buying another Sei for my GF ... and then a lorry backed into it, leading me to buy my first Panda in november 2017; a 2011 model 169 "Fresh" (campaign model with A/C) with less than 100.000km's on it.

That little 69HP engine has helped us move house and has literally been a non-issue car for the last odd 50.000km's ... until I (supposedly) rattled a connector somewhere while pulling new speaker wires from the trunk to the front, so now the airbag light's on. Hardly the car's fault :eek: :doh:
It's sitting on Hankook S1 195/40R17 on 7" wide wheels off an Alfa Romeo Mito and a Koni STR. T kit with -30mm springs from H&R. I found a cheap Supersprint exhaust for it which has raised the fun-factor even further; very much so for people around us, as this little runaraound gets us heaps of smiles and thumbs up :D

PandaCento, a 2007 100HP with A/C, came along because I got the chance (always wanted one!) and my GF needed a car after our working schedules stopped matching up in any way; the 69HP is great for economy even in heavy traffic (by Danish standards, mind you).
Anyway, the 100HP has a whopping 240.000km's on the clock but the engine is a mere 90.000km's old and newly serviced.
Front wish bones and tracking have been this week's jobs. I still need to clean and lube up the brakes as well as fit both a new center section along with the Ulter back box I recently bought. Oh, and perhaps that exhaust manifold will find its way on there along with a S/S cat, but that's for after next year's MOT.
Still need to figure out whether the 100HP runs on the same front dampers as the 69HP version, as well, or if it's the ones from the 1.3JTD :confused: The one's fitted are garbage but I know where to get the Koni STR T. kit w/H&R springs at "mates rates", locally.

I'm very much a fan of the Panda in case anyone should've missed that fact Ahhhh

P.S. I must apologise for any photos facing any other way than they should. They're perfect on both my phone and computer :confused:
Hi:) A Most Excellent combination there! Good colour choice too:D

I like the noisy bits on yours, especially the Supersprint exhaust on the 1.2 - is that a stainless silencer?

Mine's still on its original back box (the outer skin has rusted away, naturally), painted black and with a frankly daft chrome tip:eek: Top of my 'wish list' for my Panda is a stainless exhaust with tubular 4-2-1 manifold like that:yum:

Last edited:
Hi:) A Most Excellent combination there! Good colour choice too:D

I like the noisy bits on yours, especially the Supersprint exhaust on the 1.2 - is that a stainless silencer?

Mine's still on its original back box (the outer skin has rusted away, naturally), painted black and with a frankly daft chrome tip:eek: Top of my 'wish list' for my Panda is a stainless exhaust with tubular 4-2-1 manifold like that:yum:

It's the mild steel version of the Supersprint. TBF they are quite good quality and as far as I'm aware take much longer to give in to rust than the typical OEM item.
The tip is S/S, though. I found it locally, used; had to replace about 200mm of the pipe because the previous owner had been busy with a welder and an angle grinder. Apart from that, the rest of the black coating was completely intact.

I'm unaware of the quality of this item, but the cost seems bearable and perhaps a good start:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320976039811

Eventually I'll go for a Ragazzon cat-back (for the 100HP) once I'm ready with the manifold. 2021 MOT has a higher priority and the Ulter back box was cheap enough.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks, I've seen a few manifolds available, the only thing that puts me off is most have a disclaimer that it might not meet emissions standards required to pass an MoT in the UK... I guess there's only one way to find out...

I've also seen Ulter do a back box for the 1.2 on eBay, quite tempting for when mine finally wears out - I'd be interested to know what you make of it:)

Last edited:
Thanks, I've seen a few manifolds available, the only thing that puts me off is most have a disclaimer that it might not meet emissions standards required to pass an MoT in the UK... I guess there's only one way to find out...

I've also seen Ulter do a back box for the 1.2 on eBay, quite tempting for when mine finally wears out - I'd be interested to know what you make of it:)

Well, as far as emissions go, you could opt for a cat-less manifold and add a 400 cell. That should be sufficient.
A cat came with my manifold and it's a 200 cell one. If it does the job it does the job - I have no idea, TBH. It's for a later time, anyway.

The Ulter doesn't have quite the same finish as my Supersprint; the 100mm tailpipe is just put on and around what appears to be a smalle end pipe coming from the box itself and there's a gap between them. It's kind of a water-trap, I think, but that can be sorted by drilling a hole. No biggie - much better than what's already on there and I was curious as to what Polish craftsmanship can deliver :mrgreen

My 100HP has a mid silencer whereas my 69HP does not. The latter suffers a bit from exhaust drone around 3.000rpm which can be a nuisance for some - basically, the Supersprint makes more noise inside the cabin than outside, lol.

The standard manifold catalyst (manicat) is used to meet the cold start emissions demands because its supposed warm up quickly. The side effect is poor gas flow and reduced engine efficiency.

Tube manifolds take longer to warm the catalyst, but the the warm rate is not considerably worse. They considerably improve exhaust efficiency and with the right catalyst they are just as clean at running temperature. Thermal wrapping might help - subject to manifold warranty. They should be a good upgrade for the 8V 1.2 engines specially if the OEM cat has failed.

I have found stainless tube manifolds labelled for the Punto 1.2 16 valve but have not found anything for the 1.4. I suspect they are the same but don't fancy buying one to find it wont fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-PUNTO-1-2-16V-SPORTING-4-2-1-STAINLESS-STEEL-RACE-SPORT-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD/320817096826?hash=item4ab230687a:g:kDcAAOSwZpJfNP0S

This search shows a few examples. Some have 200 CPI cores built in but they lose the efficient 4:2:1 header layout. maybe somebody will know if 200CPI is acceptable for road use.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=fiat+1.4+exhaust+manifold+stainless&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=fiat+1400+exhaust+manifold+stainless

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I replaced the exhaust system (cat back) on my 100HP. The long central box is as before but the back box is already corroding. I am considering fitting a "universal" back box in stainless probably made to measure as the costs are not silly. The issue is they are all the absorbent types without actual baffles. Noise levels would be a gamble though a baffle could be fitted if really needed.

Last edited:
Back